Failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net

Hi ,

Is this issue still persisting or resolved?

I’m trying to perform greenbone.feed.sync but its throwing following error .
rsync: failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (45.135.106.143): Connection timed out (110)
rsync: failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (2a0e:6b40:20:106:20c:29ff:fe7f:d2ae): Network is unreachable (101)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(128) [Receiver=3.1.3]

Releasing lock on /var/lib/openvas/feed-update.lock

Please help me with the suitable solution on how this can be resolved.

That looks like a local issue, please check the other posts about firewalls, services and missing connectivity.

1 Like

rsync: [Receiver] failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (45.135.106.143): Connection timed out (110)
rsync: [Receiver] failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (2a0e:6b40:20:106:20c:29ff:fe7f:d2ae): Cannot assign requested address (99)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(137) [Receiver=3.2.3]
rsync: [Receiver] failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (45.135.106.143): Connection timed out (110)
rsync: [Receiver] failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (2a0e:6b40:20:106:20c:29ff:fe7f:d2ae): Cannot assign requested address (99)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(137) [Receiver=3.2.3]
I have the same problem…

And to 99% it’s the same cause. Please check your network settings especially firewalls to allow access to the rsync port (873) of feed.community.greenbone.net.

1 Like

Hi ,
What is the latest version of GVM to be used ?

I tried performing
greenbone-feed-sync
greebone-certdata-sync
greenbone-scapdata-sync
greenbone-nvt-sync

All worked without any error.

But I still see “Warning: SecInfo Database Missing
SCAP and/or CERT database missing on OMP server.”

Please help!

Hi , Please help on the below issue.

These are only some general notes:

• please avoid bumping topics within a short amount of time. If some one has either the time or the knowledge to answer / help it will be usually given
  • support in this forum is only given on a voluntary base without any SLA or similar
  • various hints have been already given previously
  • if the sync was now successful this might be a different problem and need a new thread with more details about your environment (e.g. way it was installed, steps which have been done so far, versions in use, …)
1 Like

You are right. Thank you

1 Like

I’m also having problems with syncing feeds. I’ve tried at work and at home. My work doesn’t even have a firewall. Nmap shows port 873 to be open and using rclone manually seems to work as shown. I’m using Kali Rolling and GVM 23.0.0-0kali1.

As you show you can connect perfect to the feed-service, but you need to use the sync-script correct. Just calling rsync will never work like you demonstrated it here.

I could only add one image at a time. I am getting the connection reset errors as mentioned above, but I was able to sync GVMD_DATA and CERT feeds along with NASL today. Syncing the SCAP feed only did a partial download and then reset the connection when I tried again (Connection refused). Apparently, my IP is blocked for 24 hours. I’ll try again tomorrow at work.

Don´t run it over a NG-Firewall, IDS, IPS that might be triggered and reset the connection for you :wink:

That doesn’t explain why it won’t work when there’s no firewall, IDS, or IPS, or only works for certain feeds. Rsync code 10 from what I’ve found occurs due to being unable to establish a connection. Code 19 is a connection failure or timeout during transfer. I think the connection is not very stable and triggers the connection reset error when it drops. There is some data in the download directories. I miss the old setup and gvm-feed-update. Downloading a few large tarballs without any hiccups is problematic.

I’ll try switching from WiFi to Ethernet and see how it goes (running from slow USB drive might also cause timeouts).

Not sure what you mean by that. gvm-feed-update is a Kali/Debian specific wrapper around our scripts and also just uses rsync.

Please don’t take this as an offense but this is most likely caused by your network connection and some “misbehaving” network entity on the route to our server. We have seen this a lot in the past and was (nearly) never caused by the server under our control.

3 Likes

I guess what I’m saying is that greenbone-feed-sync on ParrotOS (21.4.4) lists each file being downloaded individually. Not sure if it makes a difference now, however. Anyway, the connection does seem more stable on Ethernet, though connection timeouts still happen. I did finally update all feeds, then run ‘gvmd --rebuild-gvmd-data=all’ and set the admin user as Feed Import Owner (probably because I removed postgresql14 when upgrading to postgresql16 and had to manually create a new user).

The feeds changed from updating to current overnight, and now the scan configs and port lists are showing up. Also had to run ‘sudo runuser -u _gvm – gvmd --modify-scanner=08b69003-5fc2-4037-a479-93b440211c73 --scanner-host=/run/ospd/ospd.sock’ because the gvmd log was showing “Could not connect to Scanner at /run/ospd/ospd-openvas.sock.” Tasks still get interrupted at 0%, but that’s a separate issue.

Setting it up on ParrotOS has been less of an ordeal and is fully working, but it’s old enough to trigger an alert in reports about it being outdated. Ought to bring it to the attention of the Parrot team.