Unable to connect to feed

Hi All,

Recently i have installed Openvas on my kali linux

based on gvm-check-setup there is one error
error: Directories containing the NVT colllection not found
Fix: Run the NVT synchronization script greebone-nvt-sync
sudo runuser -u _gvm --greenbone-nvt-sync

After running this command it unable to connect to
Feed.community.greenbone.nrt(45.135.106.143)Connection refused(111)

Please help as iam new to this

Regards,
Siva Kumar

I’ve just created an announcement Feed.community.greenbone.net not available (2023/04/23)

1 Like

Hi Team,

Thanks for the update. Is there any workaround ? If there is please provide steps in details as i am new to kali linux. Thanks.

Regards,
Siva Kumar

Hello, I seem to be having a similar issue.

I’m running openvas on Kali Linux 2023.1, I was following documentation that was apparently outdated as the openvas-setup did not exist with Kali’s OEM installed binaries, so I went ahead and installed openvas via apt and later found that gvm-setup is used in other instructions where openvas-setup would be, so I went ahead and ran that to set my openvas install up.

I received many errors, mostly to do with rsync and connecting to different servers, and the timeouts here is my gvm-setup terminal output:

(also please note that I’m running as sudo yet still getting permissions errors)

╭─ ~/temp/oscp-training ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────── 1 ✘ ξ‚³ 01:13:26
╰─ sudo !!
sudo gvm-setup

[>] Starting PostgreSQL service

[>] Creating GVM's certificate files

[>] Creating PostgreSQL database
could not change directory to "/home/kali/temp/oscp-training": Permission denied

[*] Creating database user
could not change directory to "/home/kali/temp/oscp-training": Permission denied

[*] Creating database

[*] Creating permissions
CREATE ROLE

[*] Applying permissions
GRANT ROLE

[*] Creating extension uuid-ossp
CREATE EXTENSION

[*] Creating extension pgcrypto
CREATE EXTENSION

[*] Creating extension pg-gvm
CREATE EXTENSION
[>] Migrating database
[>] Checking for GVM admin user
[*] Creating user admin for gvm
[*] Please note the generated admin password
[*] User created with password '1a258d06-3243-4614-a1a4-db38e1fcb779'.
[*] Configure Feed Import Owner
[*] Define Feed Import Owner
[>] Updating GVM feeds
[*] Updating NVT (Network Vulnerability Tests feed from Greenbone Security Feed/Community Feed)
rsync: [Receiver] failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (2a0e:6b40:20:106:20c:29ff:fe7f
:d2ae): Connection timed out (110)
rsync: [Receiver] failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (45.135.106.143): Connection ti
med out (110)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(139) [Receiver=3.2.7]
[>] Updating Vulnerability Tests info into Redis store from VT files

(openvas:19396): sd main-WARNING **: 06:18:04.327: init_logging: Can not open or create log file
or directory. Please check permissions of log files listed in /etc/openvas/openvas_log.conf.
[*] Updating GVMD Data
rsync: [Receiver] failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (2a0e:6b40:20:106:20c:29ff:fe7f
rsync: [Receiver] failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (45.135.106.143): Connection ti
med out (110)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(139) [Receiver=3.2.7]
[*] Updating Scap Data
med out (110)
[*] Updating Cert Data
med out (110)

[+] GVM feeds updated
[*] Checking Default scanner
[*] Modifying Default Scanner
Scanner modified.

[+] Done
[*] Please note the password for the admin user
[*] User created with password '1a258d06-3243-4614-a1a4-db38e1fcb779'.

[>] You can now run gvm-check-setup to make sure everything is correctly configured

╭─ ~/temp/oscp-training ──────────────────────────────────────────────── βœ” ξ‚³ 17m 53s ξ‚³ 01:31:23
╰─

Please let me know if I am missing something, have posted this in the wrong area, or should not be using this command gvm-setup in this manner (and can direct me to better documentation). Any help is much appreciated, but suffice to say the rsync unable to connect issue appears to be persistent (even if across different use cases)

Please see Feed.community.greenbone.net not available (2023/04/23)

1 Like

Just a quick update, the feed should be working normally again. Thanks!

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net