Openvas executable not available

I have upgraded my OpenVAS installation from source. Now I am getting the following error:
gvm.log:
osp_scanner_feed_version: failed to connect to /run/ospd/ospd-openvas.sock

ospd-openvas.log:
ERROR: (ospd_openvas.db) openvas executable not available. Please install openvas into your PATH

These are the versions I am using:

gsa-23.0.0/
gsad-22.9.0/
gvmd-23.2.0/
gvm-libs-22.8.0/
openvas-scanner-23.0.1/
openvas-smb-22.5.3/
ospd-openvas-22.6.2/
pg-gvm-22.6.4/

uname -a:
Linux debian 6.1.0-21-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.90-1 (2024-05-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any suggestions?

I have not encountered this particular issue before, but the first thing I would try is to reinstall openvas-scanner according to the most Source Code build instructions. The error is reporting that the openvas -V command has failed.

Thanks for the reply, I will try rebuilding the openvas-scanner. But, when I have encountered the error for the first time, I have rebuilt and reinstalled the system from scratch. Anyway, I will follow your advise and get back with the feedback.

Just followed your instructions, still same error.

It seems that this problem came with the introduction of openvasd. Maybe this could be a clue.

Yes, seems that the documentation removed the installation of mosquitto and enabling the service. You should try:

sudo apt install mosquitto
sudo systemctl start mosquitto
sudo systemctl enable mosquitto

I already had mosuitto installed. So that would not fix the prolblem.

I have starting rebuilding from scratch. When building openvasd, I have noticed at the end of the script output:

sudo cp -v …/target/release/openvasd $INSTALL_DIR/usr/local/bin/
sudo cp -v …/target/release/scannerctl $INSTALL_DIR/usr/local/bin/
sudo cp -rv $INSTALL_DIR/openvasd/* /‘…/target/release/openvasd’ → ‘/home/user/install/usr/local/bin/’
cp: cannot create regular file ‘/home/user/install/usr/local/bin/’: No such file or directory

When examining

Some it is not copying all the files to proper directories. Could this be an issue?

Please see this post regarding how to correct the build path until the documentation has been corrected! Thanks :smiley:

2 Likes

Ref:

1 Like

Hi all I have same problem after update to last version.
OSPD_Openvas not starter, in log file “Openvas executable not avialable. Please Install openvas into your PATH”. I did everything according to the instructions Building from Source - Greenbone Community Documentation.

Problem was with library. After ldconfig all works fine.

I suppose it’s the same issue as Could not connect to Scanner - #5 by bricks

2 Likes

I have switched to container version. I am unable to test if the provided solutions actually work. But thanks anyway.