Docker Image that stores tasks, targets and scan configs

Hi guys,

Which docker image contains the tasks, scan targets, and other items you create in the vulnerability manager web interface? When updating feeds I notice I download a host of new images and lose all data I previously created. I am using the instructions in the workflow here: Workflows - Greenbone Community Documentation

I notice some images are left dangling after the update and in most instances that is fine as I assume they represent out of date vulnerability data.

A more direct question to ask is: where does openvas store my tasks, scan targets, target credentials, completed scan information etc. This is so I can back it up prior to a new feed update and not risk losing it

Only a side note:

Not sure why this was placed into the “Vulnerability Tests” category as it’s description at About the Vulnerability Tests category says:

This category is about discussing VT results, issues and gaps.

I have notified the moderator team, this probably would better fit into:

In the documentation, the purposes of all containers are explained here.

2 Likes

As additional information tasks, targets, etc. are stored in a postgres database. The data of the postgres database is stored with the psql_data_vol docker volume. If you don’t delete this volume your tasks, targets, users, … will be persistent.

1 Like

Thank you for that - in regards to localhost directory location I am thinking it is store here:

\wsl.localhost\docker-desktop-data\data\docker\volumes\greenbone-community-edition_psql_data_vol_

Question: does the feed data get updated as well in the same database? If it does I think any backup would need to be finer grained than simply making a backup/copy of the whole db?

By deleting the container and re-pulling the docker images using this command - docker compose -f docker-compose.yml -p greenbone-community-edition pull

• I can see me tasks again albeit the feeds are out of date apart from the NVT.

NOTE: I am running it from the contain directory hence no download var is specified in the command.

Using this command below will update the feeds but overwrites all my custom vulnerability manager data.

docker compose -f docker-compose.yml -p greenbone-community-edition pull notus-data vulnerability-tests scap-data dfn-cert-data cert-bund-data report-formats data-objects

I can post a video of exactly what I did to update the feeds. However there is no facility to allow for videos only images from what I can see.

What do you mean exactly by “all data I previously created”? Do you mean .nasl files? I suspected you were talking about the tasks, targets, credentials, users, etc. pp.

I lose the scan tasks I created and the Scan targets I created. In fact the feed sync is somewhat counter-productive if it obliterates my scan tasks and scan targets.

Also the results of all completed scans are lost. So basically all the vulnerability manager custom data.

Losing the results of completed scans is an unworkable commercial situation

I’m not sure if you are using the correct commands if a feed update obliterates your data.

Try:

export DOWNLOAD_DIR=$HOME/greenbone-community-container
docker compose -f $DOWNLOAD_DIR/docker-compose.yml -p greenbone-community-edition pull notus-data vulnerability-tests scap-data dfn-cert-data cert-bund-data report-formats data-objects
docker compose -f $DOWNLOAD_DIR/docker-compose.yml -p greenbone-community-edition up -d notus-data vulnerability-tests scap-data dfn-cert-data cert-bund-data report-formats data-objects

I am running the commands exactly as documented in the workflows. I will give another shot though.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Backing up/restoring the psql_data_vol docker volume