Can't update Feed

Hi!

So after a brand new install of a GSM OS Trial 21.04.10 we’re not able to update the feeds.
Everytime we check the logs we’re getting this message:

feed.py: rsync: failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (45.135.106.143): Connection timed out (110)
rsync: failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (2a0e:6b40:20:106:20c:29ff:fe7f:d2ae): Cannot assign requested address (99)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(127) [Receiver=3.1.3]

Is this something on our side or is the community feed having any known issues?

Hi @MFlipp and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Something to check is the network and firewall settings on the host to see if something is blocking the connection, for example: Rsync: failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (45.135.106.142): Connection timed out (110)

1 Like

Hi @DeeAnn, thanks for the answer

We do have a firewall but it is allowing all trafic from this machine to the internet (the firewall log even indicate that the machine is being allowed to reach it’s destination)

Is there anyway that I can do further troubleshoot directly through the GSM machine?
The only troubleshoot I’ve been using is journalctl -f too see recent logs

Hi,

I would try to connect via “netcat” direct.

# nc feed.community.greenbone.net 873
@RSYNCD: 31.0
Greenbone community feed server - http://feed.community.greenbone.net/
This service is hosted by Greenbone Networks - http://www.greenbone.net/

The protocol is RSYNC and not HTTP so you should be sure that your firewall is allowing RSYNC as well. Even with a full feed server, you will get a error message that the max connections are reatched.

1 Like

Ok I’ve now managed to fix the situation, for future reference, we’re using a Sophos Firewall, and although there was indeed a rule allowing access to the Community Feed (and even the firewall log said that the trafic was being allowed) there was an issue related to the corresponding NAT rule.

Had to recreate the rule and got it fixed, thanks for the tips guys, happy new year

3 Likes

Hi @MFlipp,

We’re glad to hear it helped and happy new year too!

1 Like