Brand new GVM install on a brand new CentOS8 install, gvm-setup is continually attempting to rsync feed.community.greenbone.net with connection refused

Title basically covers it all, I stood up a brand new VM as the old one was running GVM8 on Centos7 and I figured the best way to update everything was to create a fresh environment.

I ran gvm-setup after getting everything installed, it did an initial sync of NVTs and then moved onto the next sync (i dont know if it is cert or scap or what) of continually retrying feed.community.greenbone.net. The connection is refused. I started the gvm-setup and went to lunch so I don’t know what happened in the interim, it is still going though and retrying every 60 seconds. Whatever it is still trying to do is still part of the gvm-setup script, but I just killed it.

I used the atomicorp repository’s gvm package.

For reference, this was the last output:

Retrying in 60 seconds…
Greenbone community feed server - (url removed - new users cant post URLs? weird.)
This service is hosted by Greenbone Networks - (url removed)

All transactions are logged.

If you have any questions, please use the Greenbone community portal.
See (url removed) for details.

By using this service you agree to our terms and conditions.

Only one sync per time, otherwise the source ip will be temporarily blocked.

receiving incremental file list
timestamp
13 100% 12.70kB/s 0:00:00 (xfr#1, to-chk=0/1)

sent 43 bytes received 114 bytes 104.67 bytes/sec
total size is 13 speedup is 0.08
rsync: failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (45.135.106.142): Connection refused (111)
rsync: failed to connect to (url removed) (2a0e:6b40:20:106:20c:29ff:fe67:cbb5): Network is unreachable (101)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(127) [Receiver=3.1.3]
Retrying in 60 seconds…

(I should add- we do not have IPv6 set up currently)

edit to add: I have not been able to do any sort of config within gvm-setup, it just tries to sync and fails. Running gvm-setup again appears to just start the failing sync again.

Did you do not open two simultaneous connections it seems you are hit by that bug:

Please update your Kernel to a bug fixed version and it should work.

1 Like

I upgraded my kernel to 5.11.1, I am not sure if that has the patch mentioned in the article but the article says it was added to 5.10 so I assume it’s there. Still happening after a reboot.

[@~]$ sudo gvm-setup
[sudo] password for ******:

GVM Setup, Version: 6.0.2

net.core.somaxconn = 1024
vm.overcommit_memory = 1

Update NVT, CERT, and SCAP data
Please note this step could take some time.
Once completed, this will be updated automatically every 24 hours

Updating NVTs…
/usr/bin/greenbone-nvt-sync
Greenbone community feed server - http://feed.community.greenbone.net/
This service is hosted by Greenbone Networks - http://www.greenbone.net/

All transactions are logged.

If you have any questions, please use the Greenbone community portal.
See https://community.greenbone.net for details.

By using this service you agree to our terms and conditions.

Only one sync per time, otherwise the source ip will be temporarily blocked.

receiving incremental file list

sent 1,172 bytes received 2,673,160 bytes 198,098.67 bytes/sec
total size is 296,054,029 speedup is 110.70
rsync: failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (45.135.106.142): Connection refused (111)
rsync: failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (2a0e:6b40:20:106:20c:29ff:fe67:cbb5): Network is unreachable (101)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(127) [Receiver=3.1.3]
Retrying in 60 seconds…

Do you use NAT ? I suggest to disable NAT or try via IPv6.

1 Like