What do these errors mean during apt install gvm?

I’m installing gvm on Ubuntu 22.04 and am running sudo apt install gvm.

Should I be concerned about these errors (both the “could not execute systemctl” and the syntax errors)?

Setting up ospd-openvas (21.4.3-1) ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ospd-openvas.service → /lib/systemd/system/ospd-openvas.service.
Could not execute systemctl: at /usr/bin/deb-systemd-invoke line 142.
Setting up libwww-perl (6.61-1) ...
Setting up ruby3.0 (3.0.2-7ubuntu2.4) ...
Setting up liblwp-protocol-https-perl (6.10-1) ...
Setting up libxml-parser-perl:amd64 (2.46-3build1) ...
Setting up libxml-twig-perl (1:3.52-1) ...
Setting up libnet-dbus-perl (1.2.0-1build3) ...
Setting up ruby (1:3.0~exp1) ...
Setting up rake (13.0.6-2) ...
Setting up xml-twig-tools (1:3.52-1) ...
Setting up libruby3.0:amd64 (3.0.2-7ubuntu2.4) ...
Setting up ruby-rubygems (3.3.5-2) ...
Setting up gvmd (21.4.4-1) ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/gvmd.service → /lib/systemd/system/gvmd.service.
Setting up python3-gvm (21.10.0-1) ...
Setting up gvm (21.4.3) ...
Setting up gvm-tools (21.1.0-1) ...
/usr/share/gvm-tools/application-detection.gmp.py:24: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if len_args is not 1:
/usr/share/gvm-tools/application-detection.gmp.py:46: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if len(hostname) is 0:
/usr/share/gvm-tools/cfg-gen-for-certs.gmp.py:26: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if len_args is not 1:
/usr/share/gvm-tools/check-gmp.gmp.py:898: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if key is "log" and not show_log:
/usr/share/gvm-tools/create-dummy-data.gmp.py:28: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if len_args is not 1:
/usr/share/gvm-tools/create-targets-from-host-list.gmp.py:27: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if len_args is not 2:
/usr/share/gvm-tools/delete-overrides-by-filter.gmp.py:26: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if len_args is not 1:
/usr/share/gvm-tools/send-delta-emails.gmp.py:35: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if len_args is not 0:
/usr/share/gvm-tools/start-nvt-scan.gmp.py:75: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if len(nvt_oid) is 0:
/usr/share/gvm-tools/start-nvt-scan.gmp.py:125: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if len(hosts) is 0:
/usr/share/gvm-tools/sync-assets.gmp.py:25: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if len_args is not 1:
/usr/share/gvm-tools/update-task-target.gmp.py:81: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if var is '0':
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.35-0ubuntu3.6) ....

Hello,

and welcome to this Community forums.

Unfortunately Ubuntu is providing outdated and end-of-life packages (The 21.04 versions are EOL since a year) of the Greenbone components which are also in an incomplete state (e.g. the GSA web GUI component is completely missing).

Please choose one of the following two installation options which are providing you with the most recent and still supported versions of the Greenbone components:

1. Building from Source
  2. Greenbone Community Containers
2 Likes

Just as a note with an up to date gvm-tools version the mentioned warnings are very very very likely already fixed.

2 Likes

Thank you for the pointers. I’ll use one of the two methods you recommend.

1 Like

Question for you, @cfi : the Docker compose file looks like it brings up gvm on localhost. I’m running this on a cloud VM, so it’s headless. Is it possible to hit the URL from somewhere else (e.g., my laptop – assuming I have the network security rules configured appropriately)?

I don’t have any knowledge on the Docker setup / don’t use it and thus unfortunately can’t also answer any questions around it.

As this is also a new question (this topic was about the Ubuntu packages) i would suggest to create a new thread over here:

1 Like