Upgrading source installation

I installed version 22.7.1 from source according to the documentation and now receiving the end of life Scan Engine as noted below. Where can I find any official upgrade instructions? I’d also like to move to a Kali Linux install, is it possible to move my database?

Version of installed component: 22.7.5 (Installed component: openvas-libraries on OpenVAS <= 9, openvas-scanner on Greenbone Community Edition >= 10)
Latest available openvas-scanner version: 23.0.1

1 Like

hi,
I think updating Kali is not enough. I could not solve the problem I had with apt update and apt upgrade. Did you find a solution?

Hello, you have the Kali setup and your update is not working? I had a source install on Ubuntu 22.04 and saw in the docs you have to basically do fresh install to upgrade with some tweaks after. Since I wanted to get on Kali, I decided to do the fresh install under Kali and moved the PostgreSQL db. Just finalizing the setup over this past weekend, all appears to be working. I installed Kali, then GVM according to the docs. Afterward, I basically dumped the db from the source install, dropped the Kali db and imported my dump. The big difference is the username gvmd runs under being ‘_gvm’ in Kali while my install on Ubuntu was ‘gvm’. For that, I used sed to search “owner to gvm” and replace with “owner to _gvm”. That appeared to work. Next was the scanner socket path, I updated that in the PostgreSQL db scanners table directly. I installed Postfix for email and my old scans are now in the version GVM 23.5.2. Scans working, the only error seen so far I haven’t looked into yet is:

sql_exec_internal: PQexec failed: ERROR: insert or update on table “report_counts” violates foreign key constraint “report_counts_report_fkey”
DETAIL: Key (report)=(97) is not present in table “reports”.

But I don’t see any ill affects from the error. I’m now running all my old scans to see if the version warning is gone and if I’m getting same results as before the warning started. One target done and came out perfectly as expected. I sure hope when the time comes to update this Kali install, I don’t have problems.

1 Like