Unable to start gvm

I just installed openvas for the first time, however, I have hit a wall and am unable to start gvm initially it was the database error which was saying

ERROR: The default PostgreSQL version is not 13 required by libgvmd

I managed to fix the issue with the following solution

sudo nano /etc/postgresql/13/main/postgresql.conf and change the port to 5432.
sudo nano /etc/postgresql/12/main/postgresql.conf and change the port to 5433 (or any other port which is free).
sudo systemctl restart postgresql

However the problem persist, when I

gvm-check-setup
I get the error message saying:

ERROR: No users found. You need to create at least one user to log in.
FIX: create a user by running ‘sudo runuser -u _gvm – gvmd --create-user= --password=’

ERROR: Your GVM-21.4.2 installation is not yet complete!

Please follow the instructions marked with FIX above and run this
script again.

I did just that and I am still unable to start gvm, attached you will see the screenshots, please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Hello and welcome to this community portal.

The gvm-check-setup: line 352: [: too many arguments looks like an issue in the mentioned gvm-check-setup script.

Please note that this script isn’t provided / maintained by Greenbone (anymore). The newer version / variant of this script seems to be maintained by the Kali package maintainer of GVM now. For any issues found within the gvm-check-setup (and gvm-run as well) please open a new issue at https://bugs.kali.org.

1 Like

For the Job for gvmd.service failed because the control process exited with error code. error seen while running gvm-run (missed that initially) the output is giving some hints where to look for any possible issues:

See "systemctl status gvmd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

There is a gvmd.log as well (location should be something like /var/log/gvm/gvmd.log) which could provide additional info.

Hi @nimitz,

To solve the issue ERROR: Your GVM-21.4.2 installation is not yet complete!, just go and watch this video GVM-21.4.2 installation not yet complete. Solved! and also you can visit this website OpenVas Setup

Again advertisment