Ubuntu and GSA installation

Hi.

I am totally new to openvas and a total beginner to Linux. And my language skills aren’t good. Briefly writing - a drama. But I am trying to install and get to know this software.

System: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

What have I done so far?

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y
apt install openvas
gvm-setup
gvm-check-setup

The result:

Test completeness and readiness of GVM-21.4.3
Step 1: Checking OpenVAS (Scanner)...
        OK: OpenVAS Scanner is present in version 21.4.3.
        OK: Server CA Certificate is present as /var/lib/gvm/CA/servercert.pem.
Checking permissions of /var/lib/openvas/gnupg/*
        OK: _gvm owns all files in /var/lib/openvas/gnupg
        OK: redis-server is present.
        OK: scanner (db_address setting) is configured properly using the redis-server socket: /var/run/redis-openvas/redis-server.sock
        OK: redis-server is running and listening on socket: /var/run/redis-openvas/redis-server.sock.
        OK: redis-server configuration is OK and redis-server is running.
        OK: _gvm owns all files in /var/lib/openvas/plugins
        OK: NVT collection in /var/lib/openvas/plugins contains 103287 NVTs.
Checking that the obsolete redis database has been removed
        OK: No old Redis DB
        OK: ospd-OpenVAS is present in version 21.4.3.
Step 2: Checking GVMD Manager ...
        OK: GVM Manager (gvmd) is present in version 21.4.4.
Step 3: Checking Certificates ...
        OK: GVM client certificate is valid and present as /var/lib/gvm/CA/clientcert.pem.
        OK: Your GVM certificate infrastructure passed validation.
Step 4: Checking data ...
        OK: SCAP data found in /var/lib/gvm/scap-data.
        OK: CERT data found in /var/lib/gvm/cert-data.
Step 5: Checking Postgresql DB and user ...
        OK: Postgresql version and default port are OK.
 gvmd      | _gvm     | UTF8     | pl_PL.UTF-8 | pl_PL.UTF-8 |
        OK: At least one user exists.
Step 6: Checking Greenbone Security Assistant (GSA) ...
        ERROR: No Greenbone Security Assistant (gsad) found.
        FIX: Please install Greenbone Security Assistant.

ERROR: Your GVM-21.4.3 installation is not yet complete!

Before that, I had a problem with the scanner. Libraries were missing - after adding them, checking is better. But I don’t know how to install this GSA.

I tried with the https://github.com/greenbone/gsa but it failed - I don’t understand this information.

I downloaded manually:

sudo wget https://github.com/greenbone/gsa/archive/refs/tags/v22.4.0.tar.gz
sudo tar -xzvf v22.4.0.tar.gz

Then I copied this to: /usr/share/gvm/gsad/web/
But no change

I tried with: apt-get install greenbone-security-assistant
and: “package or is not available from currently set sources”

@WebGreg I think package name is gvm, not openvas.

Just install latest ubuntu and run apt install -y gvm and then
gvm-setup
gvm-check-setup

Eero

Hi @WebGreg !

Welcome to our community!

If you are not experienced with Linux and stuff, you may want to try out our easy-to-install, easy-to-use docker containers? You can find a link to the documentation here: Greenbone Community Containers 22.4 - Greenbone Community Documentation

2 Likes

Hi @Eero. I’m sorry, I skipped this step, but I did it (without it, the check would probably not start at all).

gvm is already the newest version (21.4.3)

I also tried with:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa: mrazavi / openvas

but:

https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mrazavi/openvas/ubuntu jammy Release
  404  Not Found [IP: 185.125.190.52 443]

Hi @y0urself

I tried this, but I can’t get through the “Docker Compose File”.

user@gvm:/usr/local/bin$ docker compose version
Docker Compose version v2.6.0
user@gvm:~/greenbone-community-container$ cd $DOWNLOAD_DIR && curl -f -L https://greenbone.github.io/docs/latest/_static/docker-compose-22.4.yml -o docker-compose.yml
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  4248  100  4248    0     0  30862      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 31007
user@gvm:~/greenbone-community-container$ docker-compose -f $DOWNLOAD_DIR/docker-compose.yml -p greenbone-community-edition pull
/usr/local/bin/docker-compose: line 1: Not: command not found
user@gvm:~/greenbone-community-container$ docker-compose -f $DOWNLOAD_DIR/docker-compose.yml -p greenbone-community-edition up -d
/usr/local/bin/docker-compose: line 1: Not: command not found

Edit: Maybe it was problem with Ubuntu version. Too many missing package messages. I went back to version 20.04 and it looks like it installs more smoothly. I’ll let you know when it ends.

About the initial question on the missing GSA:

Looks like the gvm package (which is getting pulled in when installing the openvas package) on Ubuntu 22.04 is depending on a non-existent greenbone-security-assistant package:

This means that you will never get a working GSA installation by just using the packages provided by Ubuntu 22.04 directly (only the upcoming Ubuntu kinetic seems to provide the Ubuntu – Details of package gsad in kinetic replacement package) and not sure if you can compile the missing gsa and gsad on top of these manually.

Alternatives are:

2 Likes

@cfi @WebGreg It might be wise just test with latest ubuntu.

I think it just works…

Eero

Hi @cfi

I installed Ubuntu 22.04 again and tried with the Building 22.4 from Source - Greenbone Community Documentation - looks like installed ok. However, the http and https://ip:9392 page does not open for me. Did I miss something?? Apache is running on the server.

openvas.log:
Updated NVT cache from version 0 to 202209091014

ospd-openvas.log:
INFO: (ospd_openvas.daemon) Finished loading VTs. The VT cache has been updated from version 0 to 202209091014.

@WebGreg by default it listens only localhost? if I remember correctly.

Eero

1 Like

Hi @Eero

OK. I edited the gsad.service file and the page opened, but default admin/admin doesn’t work :frowning:

@WebGreg change admin password: Reset admin password

Eero

2 Likes

Works for me with

sudo -E -u gvm -g gvm gvmd --user=admin --new-password=admin

Thank You @Eero

Ubuntu 22.04 does not have the gsad package in its repos, it appears from this page: Ubuntu Manpage: gsad - Greenbone Security Assistant of the Greenbone Vulnerability Management

Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.10 (not released yet) seem to have it though. Haven’t tested it yet.

It seems to be the packages for the Greenbone Community Edition aka GVM/OpenVAS are very broken and nearly useless. You could take a look at our docs (Greenbone Community Documentation) to build our software from source or use docker containers instead.

3 Likes

I tried Ubuntu 20.04 and there the GVM/OpenVAS packages are broken too. :crying_cat_face:

I’ve now installed Kali Linux and there the packages seem to work. There are also several guides on how to install and configure the packages. I only ran into a “failed to find config” error, which I could easily fix by running gvm-feed-update as suggested in troubleshooting - Greenbone/GVM (Kali Linux) scan config error message - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

Now doing my first scans. :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Build from source URL not found