Sync fails on specific file

I’m loading GSE according to this: https://kifarunix.com/install-and-setup-gvm-11-on-ubuntu-20-04/. Doing initial greenbone-nvt-sync. Fails on 2016/sw_dvr_webgui_auth_bypass_vuln.nasl with rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(794) [receiver=3.1.3]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1782773 bytes received so far) [generator]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(235) [generator=3.1.3]

I waited overnight and tried again. Got a few file updates, then failed on the same file again.
I deleted the /opt/gvm/var/lib/openvas/plugins/2016/ directory and started again. The entire 2016/directory re-synced up to that file, then failed again.

Found a copy of the file that was failing and put it in place. Restarted the nvt-sync process picked up and ran just fine until the same problem happened on 2019/beward/gb_beward_ip_cameras_root_remote_code_execution.nasl. Again, found a copy of the file and manually put it in place. Again, restarted nvt-sync and everything finished properly.
Was able to complete my setup and I’m up and running now.

Hmm are you sure no firewall/ng-firewall/IDS/IPS is doing a connection reset ?

This NVT might match a pattern of your IDS/IPS and this systems might reset your connection.

2 Likes