Speed up openvas –update-vt-info

Hello,
I just signed up to post this issue so please excuse me if I am unfamiliar with the rules…

I believe I have the same issue as this user here: How to speed up openvas --update-vt-info - #2 by bricks

however I do not have the option to change my disk to SSD. I have built openvas in a ubi8-minimal container on a host with 16 CPUs and 64 GB of memory yet it’s taking over 70-80 minutes to update.

I have checked the redis.conf and everything seems to be well. I doubt --net=host will solve anything because the docker build is consuming the most time.

For some reason the CPU utilization of the container is super low. It is averaging about 2-5%. however, running redis-benchmark it jumps to over 185%!

Any suggesstion?

OpenVAS 22.4.0
gvm-libs 22.4.0
Greenbone Vulnerability Manager 22.4.0~dev1

Hi and welcome you or forum!

I am sorry but unfortunately we don’t have other advices then in the linked post. This must be an I/O issue on your side. Maybe someone has an idea howto debug this?

2 Likes

Hi,

Move the feed onto a ramdisk (tmpfs), that works even better then a SSD / NVME :wink:

3 Likes

@Lukas Do you know what directories need to be moved to tmpfs to speed up the feed? My install directory is the default /usr/local/

I think it’s /var/lib/gvm but I wanted to confirm