Slow NVT Sync SPeed

@DeeAnn well. feed sync is slow even with fast machine and network connection. maybe you can host static .tar.gz files to speedup file syncronization?

Eero

@Bond_Bart added: https://github.com/EeroV/openvas-nvt-plugins-mirror/blob/main/data-objects.tar.gz

aka “gvm-data” as know as data-objects directory

Eero

Hi @Eero,

I’ll ask about it.

@Eero , Thanks for the Archive.

@DeeAnn just ask to create github repo with static files. no need even update so fast.

Eero

With the archive of the data-objects i could finaly finish the installation.
The S#sync with the greenbone-feed-sync --type GVDM_DATA doesn’t fetch any Data.
After copying the archived files in that directory everything starts up fine.

1 Like

@Bond_Bart try installing strace and then
strace -o /tmp/logfile sync_command. /tmp/logfile contains logs. probably firewall issue?

Eero

Hi Eero. Thanks for the reply. Should i send the log to you by PM ? It’s really small, but i can’t read it.

@Bond_Bart just send via pm or email eero.volotinen@iki.fi

I see similarly slow speeds (~5KB/s) to Azure hosted VMs in Australia, but sync caps out at 1MB/s for the same VM configuration in Azure Germany. My solution has been to sync from Greenbone to a VM in Germany, and from there to Australia, which runs at a much more reasonable speed.

Surprisingly, a lot of data seems to get re-synced for no good reason. eg: between yesterday and today, scap-data/official-cpe-dictionary_v2.2.xml has a bunch of changes that are semantically no-ops but require the file to be resynced (reordering of items in the XML with no actual content change).