Setup on Kali purple not going through - No users found. You need to create at least one user to log in

I have setup this morning a new Kali 2023 purple, installed gvm, then I did
sudo gvm-check-setup

A lot of OKs but at the end the following error occurs

ERROR: No users found. You need to create at least one user to log in.
FIX: create a user by running ‘sudo runuser -u _gvm – gvmd --create-user= --password=’

I did issue the fix but it did not help. I checked
/var/log/gvm/gvmd.log
I see a lot of this type of message

md manage:WARNING:2023-11-14 13h27.57 utc:3077965: init_manage_open_db: sql_open failed
md main:MESSAGE:2023-11-14 13h29.27 utc:3078746: Greenbone Vulnerability Manager version 23.0.0 (DB revision 255)
md manage:WARNING:2023-11-14 13h29.27 utc:3078747: sql_open: PQconnectStart to ‘gvmd’ failed: connection to server on socket “/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory
Is the server running locally and accepting connections on that socket?
md manage:WARNING:2023-11-14 13h29.27 utc:3078747: init_manage_open_db: sql_open failed

Postgresql 16 is up and running and I can connect as you can notice and I can see a user _gvm with no role attributes. So what is missing?

└─$ sudo su - postgres              
postgres@kalisierac:~$ psql
psql (16.0 (Debian 16.0-2))
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# select version();
                                                 version                                                  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 PostgreSQL 16.0 (Debian 16.0-2) on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (Debian 13.2.0-4) 13.2.0, 64-bit
(1 row)

postgres=# \du

List of roles
 Role name |                         Attributes                         
-----------+------------------------------------------------------------
 _gvm      | 
 dba       | Superuser, No inheritance, Cannot login
 postgres  | Superuser, Create role, Create DB, Replication, Bypass RLS

Please take a look at

Thanks, I will visit the URL you mentione, but please note that I havnt changed any config file and it is a brand new kali and brand new gvm as I am a beginner so I have nothing changed

Thanks bricks this helped me resolve the issue and now when I run
sudo gvm-check-setup
it seems that everything is OK and I get a final message

it seems like your GVM-22.5.0 installation is OK.

However, when I try browsing https://mykali:9392 or use localhost or IP it does not go through and get error in firefox cant connect

Hi, I solved the issued, in fact I haver missed issuing the following command
gvm-setup
Once I ran it I got the ad password and I was able to login thanks again for your help

3 Likes