Scanning not working after upgrade

I was able to successfully upgrade to GSA 22.4.0 on Ubuntu 22.04. I was running GSA 20.08 on Ubuntu 20.04. I first upgraded Ubuntu and then used this document to install GVM…

Everything went pretty well except I was running PostgreSQL 12 before the upgrade and had to get that upgraded to 14 before running gvmd --migrate. All reported successful and I’m now in GSA website with all the old data, however, having an issue seeing my scan configs in the same way or running scans. When I try to scan, it will immediately stop with scan status of ‘Interrupted at 0 %’. The error tab of the scan shows 2 error messages of …

Could not connect to Scanner
Interrupting scan because GVM is exiting.

I check the scanner status using systemctl status ospd-openvas and the Active status is active (running), same for gsad and gvmd. Before upgrading, the services were named gsa and gvm, I stopped and disabled before starting the document above. I have done all the sync commands. When running sudo -u gvm -g gvm greenbone-nvt-sync, after the syncs appears to download, I see afterward…

rsync: [Receiver] mkdir “/var/lib/notus” failed: Permission denied (13)

Also, I am still logging into GSA using the original gvmadmin user while in the Scan Configs, they all show ‘Scan Config owned by admin’. Only the gvmadmin user is listed in GSA website.

There seems to be a disconnect with the scanner, could someone suggest how I could fix or what to look for next?

OSP Server for openvas: 22.4.6
OSP: 22.4.6
OSPd OpenVAS: 22.4.6

Hi,

could you check the log files /var/log/gvm/gvmd.log and /var/log/gvm/ospd-openvas.log for additional errors? Currently it is not obvious what caused your issue.

Regarding

The package setup seems to be incomplete. The gvm user needs to have read, write and execute rights to /var/lib/notus. You should report that issue in details to the packager so the packages can be fixed.

1 Like