Scan interrupted at 0% error

Scenario:

• Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
  • Docker v20.10.21
  • Docker-compose v1.29.2
  • openVAS launched using the script “setup-and-start-greenbone-community-edition.sh” (link)
  • disk free space: 7GB (about 10%)
  • no problem accessing WebUI
  • Feed status: all updated

Issue:
openVAS worked without problem until yesterday’s O.S. update. After the reboot, when I try to start an openVAS task, I receive the error “Interrupted at 0%” after a while.

Tasks done:
Looking at “docker-compose -f docker-compose-22.4.yml -p greenbone-community-edition logs -f ospd-openvas”, I can see a lot of these:

ospd-openvas_1         | [WARN  tini (7)] Tini is not running as PID 1 and isn't registered as a child subreaper.
ospd-openvas_1         | Zombie processes will not be re-parented to Tini, so zombie reaping won't work.
ospd-openvas_1         | To fix the problem, use the -s option or set the environment variable TINI_SUBREAPER to register Tini as a child subreaper, or run Tini as PID 1.
ospd-openvas_1         | OSPD[8] 2023-07-25 09:17:50,660: ERROR: (ospd_openvas.db) Redis Error: Not possible to connect to the kb.

Please could you help me fix this issue?
Thank you

Solved by myself following this article.

docker-compose -f docker-compose-22.4.yml -p greenbone-community-edition down
docker volume rm greenbone-community-edition_redis_socket_vol
docker-compose -f docker-compose-22.4.yml -p greenbone-community-edition up -d
3 Likes

I wanted to share my experience with a similar issue that I encountered after installing from source on an Ubuntu box.

To add to fabrizioalba’s solution, I’d suggest checking this particular aspect before going through the trouble of dismantling your installation.

In my case, the problem wasn’t resolved by simply installing packages. Instead, I had unintentionally set a schedule and also tried to run it immediantly… As it turned out, the scheduled task took precedence over the “run now” command, causing the scan to stop at 0% and wait until the scheduled time before resuming.

So, if you want the scan to start immediately, here’s a friendly tip: just tick the “run once” box and avoid setting a schedule altogether.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask. Happy scanning! :blush:

1 Like

This worked, however, I didn’t have the docker-compose command so instead I had to run the following:

docker compose -f docker-compose-22.4.yml -p greenbone-community-edition down
docker volume rm greenbone-community-edition_redis_socket_vol
docker compose -f docker-compose-22.4.yml -p greenbone-community-edition up -d

The current installation steps for openvas make you remove conflicting packages which include docker-compose