Running scan on a custom port list also scans other ports for vulnerabilities

Hi. I defined a port list to scan a couple of TCP ports (e.g. 443 and 8443) only in GSA, and the scan still reports vulnerabilities on other ports. I first created the custom port list, then the new target choosing the custom port list previously defined, and finally created the task with scan type full and fast and the target mentioned before. My understanding is that it should run only the scan on those two ports, but it actually doesn’t. Could anyone please provide assistance on this?

Find below my OS/GVM versions. Thanks.

GVM versions

gsad: Greenbone Security Assistant 21.4.3
gvmd: Greenbone Vulnerability Manager 21.4.4
openvas-scanner: OpenVAS 21.4.3
gvm-libs: gvm-libs 21.4.3

Environment

Operating system: Kali GNU/Linux 2021.3
Kernel: Linux openvas 5.14.0-kali2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.14.9-2kali1 (2021-10-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Installation method / source: package (apt)

Please make sure that you don’t use a scan config in GSA (like e.g. Full and Very Deep) or a openvas.conf having e.g. unscanned_closed and/or unscanned_closed_udp set to no as in both cases the scanner will also touch applications based on their default ports.

2 Likes

@cfi thanks for your reply. The scan type I chose is: “Full and fast”, which has by default both unscanned_closed_udp and unscanned_closed set to 1. Therefore that should be fine. Any other ideas? Thanks again.