Rebuild from scratch

Lately I have noticed that the community feed pushes out changes to just the last modification tags that results in a rebuild from the ground up for me everyday.
Is there any particular reason for these date modifications being pushed on the next day for modified files instead on the day they are modified ?
@DeeAnn @cfi

While i understand that a quick answer is desired please try to avoid pinging users directly:

I’m not involved into such topics, don’t have any insights into this and got an unnecessary notification now. :slightly_frowning_face:

Thanks for your understanding.

2 Likes

The last modification date is used to determine which nasl files (VTs) have changed since the last sync between gvmd and ospd-openvas. gvmd needs the up to date VT meta information and requests this information from ospd-openvas periodically. That’s why the last modification date is changed for adjusted nasl files.

Not sure if that answers your question. Maybe you can give a more detailed example?

Hey @bricks I understand what you are saying,
If I update my community feed daily, the changes to these last modification dates results in a rebuild from the ground up since its not pushed out along with the changes to scripts.
It is a really long process since a normal rebuild with last modification tag(of script) in between plugin_feed_info.inc files would result just in rebuilding files that are modified.
This is really weird and frustrating that it has to build from the ground up every time.

Example the file NVT-plugins/2009/ubuntu/gb_ubuntu_USN_506_1.nasl
was modified on 16th september.
The change to the last modification date was pushed out in the 17th sept feed.
This results in a rebuild from the ground up.
@bricks

Sorry I quite don’t understand what you mean by modified here? The content has changed but the last modification date has not been updated? The timestamp of the file has changed?

1. If you check the feed pushed out on 19 September, you can notice that the only changes to the file was last modification date.
  2. Yes sometimes the content of a script changes on the feed, but the change to last modification date comes in on the next days feed
    @bricks

This may happen from time to time.

This should never happen. We will investigate that.

Example the file NVT-plugins/2009/ubuntu/gb_ubuntu_USN_506_1.nasl
was modified on 16th september.
The change to the last modification date was pushed out in the 17th sept feed.

The mentioned file and the whole ubuntu LSCs have been moved within the directory tree of the feed, thats why these files count as “changed/updated” without changed code in it.

On the 16th of September we modified/moved around 12000 files within the feed, thus a lot of files had to be synced!

Besides: The last_modification date of the mentioned file has not been changed to the 17th of September! (see https://www.greenbone.net/finder/vt/results/1.3.6.1.4.1.25623.1.0.840058?searchTerm=1.3.6.1.4.1.25623.1.0.840058&pageIndex=0)

Do you have an example for this? Would be much easier to investigate, if you have a proper example!

1 Like

The whole Ubuntu folder as you mentioned was moved.
The last modification date change came in a day after when this change(the moving of directory) was done.
This resulted in a rebuild from ground up for me on the day the ubuntu files were moved