Professional support and other noobie questions

I have no idea if this is the correct forum, and I apologize for my ignorance. I’ll also indicate my up front gratitude for help out of what’s become a spiral of unhelpful google searches and hours of reading the manual and other forums.

I’m new to the software and I’m trying to develop a procedure for a monthly vulnerability assessment of external network interfaces.

1. Regardless of which scan config I use I am not getting helpful results. Most of the configs produce nothing or indicate that "The host wasn’t scanned due to the following possible reasons: - No port scanner plugin or port scanner timeout.
    I’ve created a custom scan config to remedy this, but it hit 1% two nights ago and there’s nothing in the report to indicate if it’s actually still running or why it didn’t complete. I may have asked it to do too much, trying to get it to do anything useful at all.

2. I’m looking for expert help with this, but I have no idea how to find or vet a consultant for what I expect will be possibly several brief phone conversations. Budgets aren’t giant at the moment but I’m happy to pay for knowledgeable support.

This is my first post to this forum and I appreciate your help.

Stay safe and stay sane

Oscar

Hi,

would be helpful to get some feedback which version of our software you are using currently. E.g. if you did use Kali it only ships with a very old, broken and outdated version. See About the Greenbone Source Edition (GSE) category for more details about our releases. Most of the time it is easiest to try our Community Virtual Machine About the Greenbone Community Edition (GCE) VM category to get some reasonable first results.

Most of such issues are caused by outdated software components or wrongly configured OS or services. Therefore we currently can only offer professional support if you are using one of our appliances which have a defined and well known base system.

2 Likes

Hi Bricks,

Just my 2 cents on this. I understand why you don’t provide professional support, as you can’t qualify the subsystem on which your application is running. But what about providing consulting services ? (that is you don’t fix the customer problem (like in support) but you help them do so (like in consulting) with your knowledge of the application and it’s code, and eventually can help doing the link between customer and devs in case problems in the application is discovered.

I would typically be interested for such service and ready to pay for it. Perhaps something to consider on Greenbone side ?

Hi @tatooin,

we are providing consulting via professional support already. Please send a mail to sales@greenbone.net for further details. It is out of my personal daily business scope.

2 Likes

Sorry Bricks, but I don’t see a download for GCE VM. I see links that go to lists of resellers, none of which are in the USA. I see no indication re how much or anything for a trial or test. Which is why I built out my installation the way I did. It was literally easier than trying to figure out how much the product is or who to buy it from :rofl: :rofl:

Looks like version 8 beta 2. It’s running on top of Centos 7.7.

I emailed sales@greenbone.net this morning. Thanks for the replies y’all.

The previously linked About the Greenbone Professional Edition category - Greenbone Professional Edition - Greenbone Community Forum has a link to the following topic including the download and setup instructions:

This looks like the version of GSA which was released 1 1/2 years ago and really shouldn’t be used / installed these days.

1 Like

Hopefully I’ll hear from the sales people soon. I started a Centos 8.1 install for the latest version of GSA. Maybe one of these solutions will solve my problem. Thanks for the redirect friend.

I have also mailed sales@greebone.net. Hopefully they can provide a positive answer.

I have yet to hear from sales. Access to this virtual machine that’s easy to download age setup hasn’t materialized. Let me know if they get back to you. Can someone verify there are humans who answer than email address?

Oscar

Keep in Mind most (pre) -sales people do not work on a Sunday !

I emailed them on the 8th.

Hi @omcbride,

I’m not sure if I get your problem right, but are you looking for the download link for the Community Edition VM? I mean, are you seeking professional support on your own Source Edition build just because “access to this virtual machine […] hasn’t materialized”? You can find the VM download at https://www.greenbone.net/en/community-edition/ where you will have to scroll down a bit and find the link in the right gray bar.

1 Like

Same problem as omcbride here; is there still anyone behind the sales@greenbone.net address ? Or anyone at all working in the sales department ?

I have had a phone call with someone from the sales team the 26 May. I was suppose to receive a commercial proposition the next day. Since then, no news and nobody replies to my reminders. We’re the 8th of June, and I’m still waiting to get replies… (and a proposal !)

Do you REALLY want to sell professional services ?!

Hi @tatooin , @omcbride ,
it seems that the Greenbone Sales Team, more specifically myself, have caused a good level of frustration on your side as you haven’t received a response within the time frame expected.
My apologies for that.

In the past, Greenbone’s approach to a request for professional support of a source edition installation has been quite simple: we only support customers of our professional product. This is changing, but allow me to explain further as this thread can also serve as source of information for others when facing a similar situation.

The idea behind this community portal was and is to provide a modern platform for users of our source edition (moving away from that old mailing list). Living up to this idea, this portal facilitates the exchange between our open source users, quite often with some hints from our Greenbone Technical Teams (like @Steffen and @bricks plus others), and sometimes moderated when topics raised have already been answered elsewhere.

We also learned in the recent past, that there is a further need for professional consultancy for our solution on top of what is offered with this community portal. Addressing that need, requires some changes in our setup and the way we differentiate the free/open source edition and our professional products.
As always, when you learn, you stumble. And so did I.
Again my apologies…
Dirk
(P.S.: please contact me via DM in this platform should you still haven’t heard from the sales team)

3 Likes