PDF reports empty in GSM TRIAL 21.04.0

I recently downloaded the GSM TRIAL 21.04.0 as the .ova file, imported it as the appliance in Oracle VM, then completed the GSM setup, defined the hosts, configured the task, and ran the task - all with no apparent issues. However, when I download report in PDF format, it has several pages, but no content, just a few formatting frames and borders here and there. I searched for possible solutions and found out that the pdflatex is most likely missing. I tried invoking shell and running ‘apt-get install texlive-latex-extra --no-install-recommends’ and ‘apt-get install texlive-fonts-recommended’ but received two errors:

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), are you root?

Is it possible that the ova package came with something missing? Is this something I can fix on my own in my trial installation or should I wait for the release of corrected ova file? Please advise.

Hello Cnisvcs, welcome to the Greenbone Community!

Thank you for reporting this issue, I was able to confirm it. The ‘texlive-fonts-recommended’ package is indeed missing from the GSM TRIAL 21.04.0 image. I have raised an internal issue to get this fixed as soon as possible!

For the fix you will need to wait for the next GSM TRIAL image. By design, the image should contain all necessary packages and configurations. Installing additional packages via the shell is not supported.

3 Likes

Martin -
Thank you for your prompt response. I’ll try downloading the trial image again later this week.

Note that the fix will arrive with the GSM TRIAL 21.04.1 version at the earliest. I cannot confirm an ETA right now, but it should be next week. I will update this issue once the image is ready.

1 Like

The GSM TRIAL with GOS 21.04.1 is now available for download, including the fix for the PDF report:

For a complete list of changes see the Roadmap & Lifecycle page, but note that not all changes are relevant for the GSM TRIAL due to its limited feature set:

3 Likes