OpenVAS docker deployment - storage running out fast

Hi All,

So i’ve been playing around with OpenVAS for a few months now, and i noticed it’s eating up disk space faster than i thought. i went with the Docker deployment to make things easier.

Am guessing this is mainly because of the feed updates?

Any tips on what directories i need to monitor/purge to recover disk space? Thanks

Hi,

all content for the Greenbone Community Containers is put into docker volumes. Usually the data of the volumes is somewhere under /var/lib/docker on your docker host.

1 Like

Hi albert.uy,

as you suspected, this has to do with feed updates. The old feeds are left as unused images, eating up space over time. To solve this issue, I have added a cronjob that does a docker image prune -f once a week and have been happy with that solution for now.

3 Likes

Ah yes of course that’s standard docker behavior. If you download new images the existing old ones will be kept. Therefore running docker image prune should be a familiar procedure for every docker user.

4 Likes

Perhaps i should have waited for a reply before i resized my partition – ~70GB freed up after running docker image prune :grinning:

Thank you all

1 Like