OpenVAS Creates Network Storm/Flood When Scanning

First off, apologies for the lack of logs in this post. I’m posting from work and don’t have access to my Kali Linux workstation where the logs are located. I’ll update later.

Has anyone else heard of this issue? I have OpenVAS installed on my newest version of Kali Linux, and every single time I attempt to run a scan, regardless which profile, on my entire network (192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255) it takes only a few minutes before every device on my network loses internet connectivity and my Kali pc becomes incredibly slow. When I manually stop the scan, I notice that my internet access returns shortly after as though nothing had happened. But I also notice that OpenVAS has completely crashed afterward, to the point that I have no option but to reinstall OpenVAS from scratch, removing it and all of its files entirely from my system, rebooting, and reinstalling it. And sometimes that doesn’t even work.

I’ve tried going in and looking at performance settings, setting it to only scan one computer at a time, ever, and yet it still creates this network storm. I’m at my wit’s end. I’ve been doing research for nearly a week and troubleshooting and I can’t figure out how to fix the problem. So, finally, I’m going to turn this over to the community. Also, my first post here, nice to meet everyone.

I’ll post logs when I get home, please let me know which ones you need. But please also provide any solutions you might be able to think of until I get those logs. Thanks!!!

Hi Maalarius,
please provide information about your setup as well. And please read this article:

Greetings

It would be good to know which versions of our components you are actually using and which scan config was chosen. Also the host detection setting may be of some interest.