Openvas Cannot Start

Hello I had successfully installed all the openvas componets but I am presented with the error every time : I had install the Gvmd, Scanner, Libraies,Gsa,and OpenVas-SMB
openvassd: error while loading shared libraries: libopenvas_nasl.so.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory Open-VAS Scanner Started... gvmd: error while loading shared libraries: libgvm_base.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory gsad: error while loading shared libraries: libgvm_base.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

1 Like

Please don’t take this as offense but you should not compile GVM by yourself if you can’t handle this specific error. Please ask the search engine of your choice for the errors.

Hint: LD_LIBRARY_PATH or ld.so.conf

3 Likes

Cheers, for the hint. Will take care from now on

Hey, i had this issue:
openvassd: error while loading shared libraries: libopenvas_nasl.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and fixed it with this command:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:‘/usr/local/lib/libopenvas_nasl.so.10 ‘

but i dont understand what i do and why it work. But i also dont know where i find a good source to understand it. Can you tell me where i will get more information about compile with source code and this error?

Learn about ELF and dynamic linking and external symbols as well dynamic linking this is very basic Linux system know how.

man ld or info ld might help as well.

1 Like

And this is wrong. LD_LIBRARY_PATH expects a PATH where to look for libraries so /usr/local/lib would be correct instead. But additionally AFAIC /usr/local/lib should already be in the search path for dynamic libraries of you linker.

1 Like

Ye, sorry, that was my mistake, i wrote it here wrong, but done it right on my system.

Dunno why it wasnt… but now its works :slight_smile:

But additionally AFAIC /usr/local/lib should already be in the search path for dynamic libraries of you linker.

I was scratching my head on this as well.

I’m using a Debian Buster instance in my case, running openvas 7 (referencing libopenvas_nasl.so.11)…

I ran ldconfig and that corrected the problem for me.