OpenVAS 9 Installation

Is it possible to make use of OpenVAS 9?

I have downloaded Ubuntu 18.04 and tried to install OpenVAS 9 flowing the steps on the link below:

Unfortunately, when trying to update the network vulnerability tests database by syncing it with feeds using the following commands I got errors:

greenbone-nvt-sync
greenbone-scapdata-sync
greenbone-certdata-sync

The errors are the following:

rsync: failed to connect to feed.openvas.org (89.146.224.58): Connection refused (111)
rsync: failed to connect to feed.openvas.org (2a01:130:2000:127::d1): Network is unreachable (101)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(126) [Receiver=3.1.2]

I have also tried the below with curl but again with no success:

avm@ubuntu:~$ greenbone-nvt-sync --curl --verbose
/usr/sbin/greenbone-nvt-sync: 481: /usr/sbin/greenbone-nvt-sync: log_error: no

Not sure if there is a workaround to bypass this issue or if I should make use of a newer OpenVAS version. But the requirement for me is to make use of the OpenVAS 9.

Thanks You!

Note that OpenVAS 9 is End of Life since many years, unsupported and feed compatibility is no longer given.

Please install / use the most recent version by following one of these two officially supported install methods:

1. Building from Source
  2. Greenbone Community Containers
4 Likes

Summary: You MUST NOT use OpenVAS 9 anymore. It’s broken and wont work. All guides referring to it are unusable.

2 Likes