Not seeing an Option in UI to generate HTML report

I followed the instruction specified in the below link:
https://greenbone.github.io/docs/latest/22.4/source-build/index.html
to install openvas. After which I was able to do following:
a) run the vulnerability scanning against our DUT
b) Tool also generated report
c) Able to only generate report in formats(CSV, XML, PDF)
This issue is I don’t see an option to generate report in HTML Format, can you please help in how to achieve the same.

Currently I see Only below report formats can be generated:

Any Help on generating HTML report is much appreciated or Any Option of XML Report Converting to HTML Report is also good option which will work out for my automation

Hello srikanthr, and welcome to the Greenbone community!

The report formats are provided through the feed these days, and the free Greenbone Community Feed does not include any “HTML” report formats, just the ones listed in your screenshot.

The commercial Greenbone Enterprise Feed contains two different HTML report formats for use.

Converting reports to HTML with the help of another tool would be an option, but I have no recommendations for this. Maybe someone else can help!

2 Likes

Thanks Martin for the response. Any reason why HTML report formats are present only in commercial Greenbone Enterprise Feed? and why not in Greenbone Community Feed?

I was also trying to following this link:

to create my own custom format which also did not help.

Any thoughts or some support help on how to import custom formats like json or yaml using import options shown here:

Our commercial solutions are always more feature-complete than the community solutions. In the end, it is this revenue from Greenbone’s commercial product line that allows us to provide community products for free, and has done so for many years.

Note that custom report formats must be signed by Greenbone in order to work. The reason for this is that they may contain executable code, and we do not want malicious code spreading under our banner. Also see 11 Reports and Vulnerability Management — Greenbone Enterprise Appliance 22.04.17 documentation.

Currently, all custom report formats that I know of have been tailor-made for customers.

If you do have a signing request though, I recommend to open an issue at Issues · greenbone/gvmd · GitHub.

1 Like

Thanks Martin for the detailed response. I was looking into this POST Custom report layout and formatting - #2 by cfi and followed on how to write Custom Report and Layout.
Below are steps I tried converting my XML Report downloaded from UI to HTML which did not work:

1. root@openvas:/home/aviuser/openvas/source/gvmd-22.4.2/src/schema_formats/HTML# ./generate /root/Downloads/report-bbf467bc-b614-459d-b828-e23bf82c3007.xml
2. root@openvas:~/openvas/source/gvmd-22.4.2/src/schema_formats/HTML# ls
generate HTML.xsl
3. root@openvas:~/openvas/source/gvmd-22.4.2/src/schema_formats/HTML# cat generate
#!/bin/sh
# Copyright (C) 2010-2022 Greenbone Networks GmbH
#
# SPDX-License-Identifier: AGPL-3.0-or-later
#
# This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License as
# published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the
# License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
# GNU Affero General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Affero General Public License
# along with this program. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.

# Schema generator script: HTML.
#
# This schema generator creates a single HTML file from the XML schema using
# an XSL transformation via the tool xsltproc.

xsltproc ./HTML.xsl $1
4. ./generate /root/Downloads/report-bbf467bc-b614-459d-b828-e23bf82c3007.xml

Above steps did not work in converting XML Report to HTML. Any thoughts on following:
a) how to use this generate script and HTML.xsl file and convert report in HTML Format
b) Any Document to write .xsl file for me to convert XML to JSON Formats.