New install scan stuck at 1%

GVM versions

gsa: (‘gsad --version’)
Greenbone Security Assistant 8.0.0

gvm: (‘gvmd --version’)
Greenbone Vulnerability Manager 8.0.0
Manager DB revision 205

openvas-scanner: (‘openvassd --version’)
OpenVAS Scanner 6.0.0
gvm-libs:

Environment

Operating system: CENTOS 7.6
Kernel: (‘uname -a’)
3.10.0-957.21.3.el7.x86_64
Installation method / source:

yum install

When I set the task to 1 concurrent it runs but slow.

1 Like

Tuning the task to 2 NVT’s and 8 hosts concurrently still works. Seems that the default of 24 NVT are to heavy and a total freeze is the result

Hi Arjan_L,

The default standard setting for scan tasks is:

Maximum concurrently executed VTs per host = 4
Maximum concurrently scanned hosts = 20

Depending on power- and memory resources you can adjust these values.
What exactly do you mean with “stuck”?
What timeline do you refer to?
If you just see the scan running at 1%, even for a long time this does not mean it died or fell asleep. you can watch your openvassd.log to see what your scan task is currently doing. It’s not a surprise if you see this 1%, because in the beginning all the basic groundwork is done for all other vulnerability tests to follow.
Just start a scan and leave it alone. After its done you will know how long a scan takes.
I wouldnt wait for the task to complete. Maybe read the manual or articles here in between to learn what cool things you can do with this amazing software.
Greetings
MM

1 Like

Hi after 3 days it was still not beyond 1%. I see that when I click 3 simultaneous task (discoveries) the service stops responding and a reboot is needed. systemctl stop gvmd is not working. So I guess the system becomes unstable as soon as load goes beyond acceptable.

Using 4 nvt per host and 8 hosts works for us. Dont want to stress it to much. Use a 2 core VM with 4GB memory.

Check if you system is swapping, this is killing the performance instantly. I would recommend at lest 6-8GB free memory to get started.

1 Like