Networking issues with using a VM on ESXi

Using VMWare ESXi to host my Ubuntu server VM. Followed the directions in the 22.4 guide until I received an error from the command:

docker compose -f $DOWNLOAD_DIR/docker-compose.yml -p greenbone-community-edition up -d

14 of the services/containers run, but then the gsa tries to start and errors out. I get the error:

Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint greenbone-community-edition-gsa-1 (long string of characters): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp4 127.0.0.1:9392: bind: address already in use

When I run the xdg-open “http://127.0.0.1:9392” 2>/dev/null >/dev/null & command, I get an Exit 127 error, which is a directory not found error. After digging for a bit, I found out that the VM and the Docker container have different IP addresses. How do I resolve this? Has anyone else had success running the community version on ESXi?

Thanks,
-R

The Docker containers will all have different IP addresses than the VM itself or the bare-metal host for that matter. You can try to find out what is already binding on port 9392:

sudo netstat | grep 9392

or using nmap:

sudo nmap -sT -p 9392 localhost

Furthermore, xdg-open is a utility for opening a file or URL in the user’s preferred application. It’s commonly found on Linux systems with desktop environments. If you’re running a minimal Linux installation or a headless server (in your case ESXi), xdg-open will not be installed.

1 Like