Missing Superuser Option

Hi,

I recently upgraded the Greenbone Community Edition version 4.2.24 to version 4.3.14. After setting all up, I realised, that there is no Superuser option in the Advanced>Support Menu.

Now I have two questions:

1. Is this intended?
  2. Is there an other way to gain root access for the shell?

Thanks,
Jan

Okay, I will answer my question by myself. It is possible to still use the old Greenbone 3 command line inferface with gos-state-manager instead of gsm. This in mind it is easily possible to still activate the superuser/root for the shell.

How do you do this?

How can I use the super user in shell?

Thanks

Hi,
sorry for the late reply.
Just in case you haven’t figured it out yet, you have to open the Shell via the Support Menu.
In the shell you have to enter the following commands:

1. gos-state-manager set superuser enabled
  2. gos-state-manager set superuserpassword password
  3. gos-state-manager save

To 1: This command enables the superuser account.
To 2: This command is used to set the superuser’s password, where password needs to be replaced with your favourite password. :wink:
To 3: You need to save the configuration with this command.

Jan

2 Likes

Hi,

just some notes. Getting super user isn’t supported and should not be done under normal circumstances.

Using gos-state-manager directly is highly discouraged. DOING SO MAY BREAK YOUR SYSTEM.

3 Likes

@bricks
How else do you recommend I add support for resolving IP addresses on my private network to hostnames? I am talking about the column for “Name” in the report alongside the column for “IP”

The only way I know how is to modify the /etc/hosts file but since I can’t change it without superuser access, I have no other choice.

I don’t have and won’t be setting up a DNS for this.

Get DNSMasq that is a very light and easy DNS Proxy that can add hosts with one line :wink:

Are you saying that I need to install and run DNSMasq onto a separate server and point the GSM VM to it as its DNS server?

You don´t need a server, just a (Linux Maschine) if you need to add hosts and you don´t wanna go the extra BIND9 mile for a secure and complex DNS setup :wink: It´s quick, dirty and can run even on a WRT router :wink:

Thank you for the tip. I’ve looked into the tool. Do I still need to point to it from the Greenbone OS Administration menu under Setup->Network->DNS ?

Just point the DNS resolver to your dnsmasq … installation. If you use a OpenSource Router that gives you the freedom, i would change the dnsmasq in your router.

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/base-system/dhcp.dnsmasq

I don’t have the ability/permission to control external devices on the network and especially not the DNS server. If it’s so easy, why isn’t it included in the GOS VM?

DNS Server, Proxy , Firewall are not in our scope and many open source projects do exists. So just build a small Raspberry Pi Box). We focus on GOS and Customer and community needs.

Hello @janhe
I changed the superuser password using the above 3 commands but still unable to switch to root from Admin user as Admin user is not allowed to switch to root.
So how to switch to root and change host file for DNS issue. Pls help

I am having the same issue, but im behind an extra issue that there is no extra space on my root partition as the system had been installed and never maintained over a year until i came on board.

when i try to run any of the gos commands i get:

OSError: [Errno 28] No space left on device

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/gos-state-manager”, line 11, in
load_entry_point(‘gos-state-manager==1.0’, ‘console_scripts’, ‘gos-state-manager’)()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/state.py”, line 1216, in main
return COMMANDScommand
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/state.py”, line 920, in set_
dump_diff(state)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/state.py”, line 434, in dump_diff
json.dump(diff, f)
OSError: [Errno 28] No space left on device

I submit a message to greenbone support. I am wondering if a fresh set up is due on this unit. When the system boots a well it says it is GOS 5, which i assume is very dated.

(just a quick followup for anyone reading, the discussion on post #15 has continued here: Unable to free up space or access SU )

2 Likes