gvmd: 21.4.3~dev1~git-9005da2f-gvmd-21.04
openvas-scanner: 21.4.2~dev1~git-0534359a-openvas-21.04
gvm-libs: 21.4.1

Environment

Operating system: Ubuntu 20.04
Kernel: 5.4.0-65-generic
Installation method / source: https://www.libellux.com/openvas/

Dear GVM team,

I’ve followed the installation guide (i wrote myself which worked with the first 21.04 release). However, when I reach the step to install gvmd I receive the permission error that the GVM user doesn’t have permission to write to the /lib/systemd/system folder to create the gsad.service file.

I’ve tried the solution to add the gvm user to the sudoers file. I can proceed with the make install script this way but when trying to start the services I receive the following:

Process: 31313 ExecStart=/opt/gvm/sbin/gvmd --osp-vt-update=/opt/gvm/var/run/ospd.sock (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

The GSA opens but with the error message (obviously as its not running correctly):

“The Greenbone Vulnerability Manager service is not responding. This could be due to system maintenance. Please try again later, check the system status, or contact your system administrator.”

Any clue or feedback where the permission changes occured in the installation to prior release?

Update: Might have to update the cmake path for “Failed to connect to server at /run/gvm/gvmd.sock: No such file or directory”

However, still curious of the change to the permission when running make install from prior version :slight_smile:
Best regards,
Fredrik

Hi Fredrik,

it is not a permission change itself in gvmd. I’ve just changed the default installation path for various files like the systemd service files to a meaningful and usable default. As far as I can remember your guide did create own systemd service files. You should use our files now and just install them in the correct directories (which requires write permissions to system directories).

See https://greenbone.github.io/docs/ for our official installation guide.

4 Likes

Thanks @bricks will have a look through it right know and update my guide accordingly! thanks!