Gvmd service not starting after postgresql replication

I deployed two openvas servers on two distinct VMs (Debian 10) with postgresql version 11. I replicated the postgres 11 using with hot standby configuration, the data is getting replicated but after the replication, gvmd service & gsad service goes down. On the other hand, ospd-openvas.service is up, but because of gvmd service is down, I am not able to log in.

In the log section, I am getting these errors:

sql_exec_internal: SQL: CREATE EXTENSION IF NOT EXISTS “uuid-ossp”
sqlv: sql_exec_internal failed

systemctl status gvmd.service give me and error output of -

gvmd.service: Can’t open PID file /run/gvm/gvmd.pid (yet?) after start: No such file or directory

I tried to create an extension in postgresql of “uuid-ossp”, but it postgres cannot create an extension in a read-only transaction.

transaction of postgresql cannot be set to read write mode because of the recovery file, and after removing recovery file from /var/lib/postgresql/11/main/recovery.conf gvmd & gsad service starts normally.

Hi @zang21 and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Did you install from the Debian 10 Buster repository? (I’ve moved your post into the Linux Distribution category in the meantime, if it’s the wrong place we can move it later). If it’s a repository install it’s out of date with OpenVAS 9 which is end of life. If not, please let us know. Thanks!

Hello @DeeAnn, Thanks for the prompt reply.

The version of OpenVAS I am using is - 21.4.3, and I had built from source.

1 Like

Thanks @zang21 I’ve moved this on over to the “Building from Source” category to get some more eyes on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @DeeAnn Please find the snaps for your reference

Hello any update on the thread?

You could try to ask some PostgreSQL gurus outside of the GVM community forums.

actually the service of gvmd & gsad is getting turned off. Data is getting replicated.

Hi,

I am not a PostgreSQL expert, but you need to be aware what table is locked and how your replication is running while you have a active application altering your database content. That Setup is NOT supported and GVM is not aware of any replication methods needing application / locking support in the database, so your replication method needs to be agnostic to the application.