GVMD_DATA not showing any content

All the commands I’ve already tried in order to update my database (specifically the GVMD_DATA topic) aren’t working. The problem is: “gvm-check-setup” says it is all ok, and the “greenbone-feed-sync”, “greenbone-certdata-sync --type gvmd-data” too. When I open the OpenVAS web interface nothing shows up at the GVMD-DATA, despite the status “CURRENT” and version 20240119T505.

OpenVAS 22.7.9
gvm-libs 22.7.3
OS Kali 6.5.0

Anyone have any other tips for troubleshooting or solve this?

Thanks!

Hi,

which problem do you mean? The gvmd data deployed on Friday has the version 202401190505. Therefore all things are fine. We don’t update the feed on Weekends.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. What is happening is that I’m not seeing the scan configs options on the web interface, despite it apparently downloading the content when I type the commando on terminal. My last try was to follow these instructions: Troubleshooting - Greenbone Community Documentation but I still get the same results…

Actually all the options related to GVMD_DATA aren’t available to be shown

Hi,

you need to be aware that the gvm user of our source build is _gvm on Kali. Therefore please use

sudo -u _gvm gvmd --modify-setting 78eceaec-3385-11ea-b237-28d24461215b --value `gvmd --get-users --verbose | grep admin | awk '{print $2}'`

and never run any of the commands via sudo as root if you are not explicitly advised to do so. As a general rule running things as root may break you setup.

If the command doesn’t work you must take a look at /var/log/gvm/gvmd.log for the error output.

Sorry but I don’t understand what you mean by that.

2 Likes

This was the result of the command you suggested:

I’m sorry, I was trying to say that the config related to GVMD_DATA, like Scan Configs, Report Formats, Port Lists and Compliance Policies are not being shown in the web interface like the image below:

Hi,

you need to check the permissions of /var/lib/openvas. The user _gvm needs write access to that directory and the files within. It is very likely that running gvmd as root caused this issue.

2 Likes