Gvm-script issue with subparser

Hello,

I’ve been working on some gvm-scripts with using argparse and up to this point everything was going great. As my scripts grow I would like to use subparsers to tidy them up by making them multi use. For example I would like to use ports.py list to list ports lists and ports.py create --name ... to create them.

I know this is not 100% related to Greenbone, but I searched the web far and wide to find a solution and nothing seems to work. This is the snippet of code I’m struggling with:

def main(gmp: Gmp, args: argparse.Namespace) -> None:
    print(args)

parser = argparse.ArgumentParser(prog='ports.py')
    subparsers = parser.add_subparsers()
    parser_list = subparsers.add_parser('list')

args, unknown = parser.parse_args()

When I run it with gvm-script --gmp-username <user_name> socket --socketpath /tmp/gvm/gvmd/gvmd.sock ports.py list I get an error:

usage: ports.py [-h] {list} ...
ports.py: error: argument {list}: invalid choice: 'admin' (choose from 'list')

I understand that it catches the --gmp-username argument, but if I restrict the parsed arguments by using parser.parse_args(['list']) then I get an error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/gvmtools/script.py", line 113, in main
    run_script(args.scriptname, global_vars)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/gvmtools/helper.py", line 216, in run_script
    exec(file, global_vars)  # pylint: disable=exec-used
  File "<string>", line 37, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 34, in main
TypeError: cannot unpack non-iterable Namespace object

What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to use subparser for gvm-scripts?

I will appreciate any guidance on this as I’ve been trying to make it work for over a day now.