GVM install UBUNTU 22.04 lts

"Hello,

I am trying to install GVM on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. Here is the output from gvm-check-setup 21.4.3:

Test completeness and readiness of GVM-21.4.3
Step 1: Checking OpenVAS (Scanner)...
        OK: OpenVAS Scanner is present in version 21.4.3.
        OK: Server CA Certificate is present as /var/lib/gvm/CA/servercert.pem.
Checking permissions of /var/lib/openvas/gnupg/*
        OK: _gvm owns all files in /var/lib/openvas/gnupg
        OK: redis-server is present.
        OK: scanner (db_address setting) is configured properly using the redis-server socket: /var/run/redis-openvas/redis-server.sock
        OK: redis-server is running and listening on socket: /var/run/redis-openvas/redis-server.sock.
        OK: redis-server configuration is OK and redis-server is running.
        OK: _gvm owns all files in /var/lib/openvas/plugins
        OK: NVT collection in /var/lib/openvas/plugins contains 125019 NVTs.
Checking that the obsolete redis database has been removed
        OK: No old Redis DB
        OK: ospd-OpenVAS is present in version 21.4.3.
Step 2: Checking GVMD Manager ...
        OK: GVM Manager (gvmd) is present in version 21.4.4.
Step 3: Checking Certificates ...
        OK: GVM client certificate is valid and present as /var/lib/gvm/CA/clientcert.pem.
        OK: Your GVM certificate infrastructure passed validation.
Step 4: Checking data ...
        OK: SCAP data found in /var/lib/gvm/scap-data.
        OK: CERT data found in /var/lib/gvm/cert-data.
Step 5: Checking Postgresql DB and user ...
        OK: Postgresql version and default port are OK.
        OK: At least one user exists.
Step 6: Checking Greenbone Security Assistant (GSA) ...
        ERROR: No Greenbone Security Assistant (gsad) found.
        FIX: Please install Greenbone Security Assistant.

ERROR: Your GVM-21.4.3 installation is not yet complete!

Please follow the instructions marked with FIX above and run this script again.

How can I resolve this issue, or is there an appropriate installation method for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS?"

As of my last check, the native Ubuntu packages were not maintained. If you want, you can reach out to Ubuntu bug tracker and ask them to update the repositories and install scripts.

2 Likes

Hi,

Where did you got this script from ?
It is long_time no longer supported by Greenbone. So please contact the maintainer of this script to help you debug this issue.

As well your GVM Version is end of life / support as well. I would go with a supported version.

2 Likes

Thanks sir . Which version should I choose for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS? Honestly, there are a lot of documents available. My goal is to run gvm-cli commands remotely from my Ubuntu computer.

All you need to start is here:

4 Likes

Thanks. Installing GVM on Kali was very straightforward. On my old computer with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, my goal is to establish an SSH connection and run GVM commands this way. It would be great if SSH could be used with Docker. However, this setup works for now. Is there an easier installation method available?

I put together a script version of the full contents of the source build docs in the community portal here:

https://github.com/itiligent/Easy-OpenVAS-Builder

The script also adds a few extras such as grabbing the latest releases for each component (can be overridden) & setting up http redirect to https 443 with the built in GSAD web front end etc, TLS certificate mgmt etc. There is also an upgrader script in there.

Its Debian & Ubuntu specific but if there was interest I’d adapt it to RHEL too.

1 Like