GVM_DATA missing after installing gvm-scripts

Hello team,

I have installed OpenVAS community using docker container and everything works well.

After trying to fix all the issues for running gvm-scripts with sudo gvn-check-setup -h and following the instructions, the OpenVAS was on https which is good but the GVM_DATA (like Port Lists and Scan Configs) were removed. I have tried every possible workaround I found on the internet to retrieve GVM data but none worked.

I have also tried sudo greenbone-feed-sync.

I believe the issues come from the following command when I tried to fix the issues for running the gvm-scripts:
sudo runuser -u postgres -- /usr/share/gvm/create-postgresql-database

Some useful information that may help:

1. OpenVAS Scanner: 22.4
  2. GMP Version:22.4
  3. gvm-script: 23.4.0
  4. API version: 23.4.2
  5. PostgreSQL Version: 15.4

Any idea on how to retrieve GVM_DATA so as to be able to run scans?

Many thanks!

The Docker containers don’t use the gvm-check-setup command. So, I don’t know why you are using it. Looks like you have confused the Kali native install and the Docker containers install.

@rippledj probably you are right!

if I install OpenVAS community docker, can I still make use of gvm-script?

I got many errors when I tried to run gvm-script, but after using gvm-check-setup I was able to run any gvm-script.

Maybe is better to go with the normal installation instead of dockerizen version?

Yes you can. See https://greenbone.github.io/docs/latest/22.4/container/workflows.html#using-gvm-tools-for-cli-access and https://greenbone.github.io/docs/latest/22.4/container/workflows.html#exposing-gvmd-unix-socket-for-gmp-access. Just replace gvm-cli with gvm-script.

This depends on you knowledge and skills. IMHO the docker version is easier to use, especially updating the feed but @rippledj will disagree :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you @bricks for your reply.

I have installed again OpenVAS community container and tried what you suggested on the first link.

The command worked with gvm-cli but not with gvm-script.

What I want to achieve finally by leveraging the dockerized version of the OpenVAS Community, is with the use of a script (as I believe is the best option) to create the targets, tasks, run the scans, and finally get the results. So to make the commencement of this process, as a first step, I am trying to run the example script that is on the following link:

For the sake of ease, I am placing a sprintscrean of the script:

However, after running the script, I got the following error:

I think, is better to find a way to overcome the above error and then I can play with the scripts and get the desired results. To overcome the above issue I used gvm-check-setup which it was a wrong direction…

I have also tried the below but again I got errors:

IMHO native packages are way easier! :laughing:
If you don’t have a dedicated system, then Docker containers are maybe less resource intensive than running a full VM for native package installation. However, I know that native packages for Ubuntu 22.04 are broken and for Ubuntu 23.04 are somewhat improved but still not 100% functional which just leave Kali for easy native installation support. I also find making some persistent changes to the environment are easier for native packages (bare-metal or VM) than Docker.

Also, as far as I know, SSL/TLS is not supported for Docker containers, so if remote access is your use case requirement, native install is sort of required.

That being said, @bricks = :mage: is still the Wizard of the land!

1 Like

By replacing it didn’t mean a one to one replacement :slight_smile:

gvm-cli and gvm-script do different things and require different arguments. gvm-cli is for running XML based GMP commands directly against gvmd. gvm-script is for executing a Python base GMP script. That said <get_version/> is of course not an existing file containing a Python based GMP script :wink:

If you want to run a GMP script from your host you need to do the following:

Note: The host is the machine running the containers.

1 Like

You can use gvm-script with a docker container you will just need to mount the script your going to in the docke gvm-tools container with -v(voiume), -w (workdir) makes it easier to run the script.

RUN_OPTIONS=" --it --rm -v $PWD:PWD -w $PWD/script.py --no-deps"

example:
docker compose $COMPOSE_OPTIONS run $RUN_OPTIONS gvm_tools
gvm-script --gmp-user=admin socket $PWD/script.py

I use --no-deps here to ensure that I do not replace any existing containers. That way my communications with gvmd are immediate and error handling is simpler if the server I am taking to is in a failed state. It does assume that my script is only talking to a gvmd container that is always running.

Hi @rippledj and @bricks,

I am sorry for the late reply and thank you for your suggestions.
I had some issues and I needed to go offline. Now I am back and I will resume the work.

I will try your suggested workaround and let you know if all is good!

I will try to run a script that returns OpenVAS version, targets, and tasks as a simple proof-of-concept.

Cheers!

1 Like