GVM-23.11.0 Setup Issue: Unable to Connect to Update Server

I am encountering some issues while setting up the GVM-23.11.0 environment, which prevents the setup from completing successfully. Here are the main problems I’ve run into, along with the steps I’ve tried to resolve them:

1. Running gvm-check-setup indicates that the directories containing the NVT collection were not found.
  • Suggested FIX: Run the NVT synchronization script greenbone-feed-sync --type nvt.
  1. Attempting to execute greenbone-feed-sync --type nvt results in a failure to connect to the update server.
  • Error message: rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(139) [Receiver=3.2.7], indicating an inability to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net.
  1. My network connection is confirmed to be functional, as tested by pinging google.com without issues.
  2. Firewall settings have been checked, and port 873 is open, eliminating network access issues.

Below are the relevant terminal output logs that I hope will provide some insight into resolving these issues:

system info : kali 6.6.9-amd64

gvm-check-setup log

gvm-check-setup 
gvm-check-setup 23.11.0
  Test completeness and readiness of GVM-23.11.0
Step 1: Checking OpenVAS (Scanner)... 
        OK: OpenVAS Scanner is present in version 22.7.9.
        OK: Notus Scanner is present in version 22.6.2.
        OK: Server CA Certificate is present as /var/lib/gvm/CA/servercert.pem.
Checking permissions of /var/lib/openvas/gnupg/*
        OK: _gvm owns all files in /var/lib/openvas/gnupg
        OK: redis-server is present.
        OK: scanner (db_address setting) is configured properly using the redis-server socket: /var/run/redis-openvas/redis-server.sock
        OK: the mqtt_server_uri is defined in /etc/openvas/openvas.conf
        ERROR: Directories containing the NVT collection not found.
        FIX: Run the NVT synchronization script greenbone-feed-sync.
        sudo greenbone-feed-sync --type nvt

ERROR: Your GVM-23.11.0 installation is not yet complete!

Please follow the instructions marked with FIX above and run this
script again.

greenbone-feed-sync --type nvt log

Running as root. Switching to user '_gvm' and group '_gvm'.
Trying to acquire lock on /var/lib/openvas/feed-update.lock
Acquired lock on /var/lib/openvas/feed-update.lock
⠼ Downloading Notus files from 
rsync://feed.community.greenbone.net/community/vulnerability-feed/22.04/vt-data/notus/ to 
/var/lib/notus
rsync: [Receiver] failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (45.135.106.143): 
Connection refused (111)
rsync: [Receiver] failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net 
(2a0e:6b40:20:106:20c:29ff:fe7f:d2ae): Network is unreachable (101)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(139) [Receiver=3.2.7]

⠼ Downloading NASL files from 
rsync://feed.community.greenbone.net/community/vulnerability-feed/22.04/vt-data/nasl/ to 
/var/lib/openvas/plugins
rsync: [Receiver] failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (45.135.106.143): 
Connection refused (111)
rsync: [Receiver] failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net 
(2a0e:6b40:20:106:20c:29ff:fe7f:d2ae): Network is unreachable (101)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(139) [Receiver=3.2.7]

Releasing lock on /var/lib/openvas/feed-update.lock

The issue has been resolved. It was found that the problem was caused by being in a restricted network environment. After switching environments, the issue was resolved.

2 Likes