Greenbone Cloud and the Host Validation Process

Hello,

First question:

I need to scan my home IP from Greenbone Cloud for testing.

It’s a dynamic IP, and the “Host Validation Process” is quite slow, can take up to 3 days for a Greenbone Security Team member to action if I understood correctly?

By then, my IP might have changed.

Any chance Greenbone will improve or change this process in the near future? This is a dealbreaker as my business has multiple clients with dynamic IPs.

Second question:

What if I own multiple external IPs or I have a client that owns multiple external IPs, is this process going to be tedious like that each time for each IP? None of the IPs are in the RIPE database.

Thoughts:

I was excited at first to see Greenbone’s Managed Service Platform, but this Host Validation Process is really a disappointment. I don’t like the idea that a third party is going to contact my clients because “they don’t believe/trust me”. I can’t tell my clients: “You’re going to receive an email from Greenbone to see if I am really allowed to scan your external IP”, I’m supposed to be their MSSP, and this seems to be intrusive from Greenbone to put themselves in-between me and my clients. The Host Validation Process is a big dealbreaker, and unnecessary (you guys have insurance and legal agreements in place that protects you, you can also verify that your customers are legit and have similar things in place).

Hi @prometeus and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for your feedback. The topic of host validation has already reached us and we are happy to inform you that we are already in development to solve this issue. In January there will be an update that solves this problem.

3 Likes

Hello, just wanted to know if an update has come or is coming soon regarding this? I would really like to use your Cloud Services for my business but the validation process has been making it difficult.

Thanks!

Hi @prometeus,

I checked and the current status is it’s in development. Thanks for hanging in there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @prometeus,

we have published the new feature for self-host-validation:

regards,
Benjamin

4 Likes