From source build but /var/lib/notus/advisories dir is empty

Is there anyone who can help me ? The question puzzled me for several days,When I use the source code to install,https://greenbone.github.io/docs/latest/22.4/source-build/index.html,I installed all the components,An error occurred while starting ospd-openvas.service,Errors are as follows:

OSPD[10371] 2023-06-25 02:16:04,180: INFO: (ospd_openvas.daemon) Loading VTs. Scans will be [requested|queued] until VTs are loaded. This may take a few minutes, please wait…
OSPD[10371] 2023-06-25 02:16:04,206: ERROR: (ospd_openvas.openvas) OpenVAS Scanner failed to load VTs. Command ‘[‘openvas’, ‘–update-vt-info’]’ returned non-zero exit status 1.
OSPD[10371] 2023-06-25 02:16:04,207: ERROR: (ospd_openvas.daemon) Updating VTs failed.

When I checked /var/lib/notus/products, I found the directory was empty

图片

The only things I guess is that perhaps you need to:

Make sure that feed-sync is installed:

Make sure that Mosquito MQQT Broker is installed:

Make sure the feed import owner is set:

Make sure the feed sync has been started:

I think all these things must be done before ospd-openvas can be started:

I did greenbone-feed-sync, using the following command

greenbone-feed-sync —type CERT
greenbone-feed-sync —type SCAP
greenbone-feed-sync —typeGVMD_DATA

Hey, again, not sure if this is going to help, but from the source code install information:

The downloaded data consist of four different kind of data:

• VT data
  • SCAP data
  • CERT data
  • GVMD data

But it looks like you only synced 3 of the 4 and the one you didn’t sync is the VT indicated in the error. Not sure if that will cause the error you are experiencing.
Maybe try using the command from the source-code install sudo /usr/local/bin/greenbone-feed-sync. Also, looks like the instructions use sudo. Does not running sudo mess up the feed user permissions?

Finally, the doe the ospd-openvas log indicate that the feeds all completed sync successfully?

I tried to run the command, and the result is as follows, the message is only supported, CERT, SCAP,GVMD_DATA

root@mabinserver:/etc/redis# sudo /usr/local/bin/greenbone-feed-sync
sudo: /usr/local/bin/greenbone-feed-sync: command not found

root@mabinserver:/etc/redis# sudo /usr/local/sbin/greenbone-feed-sync
No feed type given to --type parameter

root@mabinserver:/etc/redis# sudo /usr/local/sbin/greenbone-feed-sync --type VT
Invalid feed type VT given to --type parameter. Currently supported: CERT, SCAP or GVMD_DATA

To install it system-wide for all users without running pip as root user, the following commands can be used:

mkdir -p $INSTALL_DIR/greenbone-feed-sync

python3 -m pip install --root=$INSTALL_DIR/greenbone-feed-sync --no-warn-script-location greenbone-feed-sync

sudo cp -rv $INSTALL_DIR/greenbone-feed-sync/* /

Particularly sudo cp -rv $INSTALL_DIR/greenbone-feed-sync/* / would have copied what is in the $INSTALL_DIR into the root directory. You should look in the $INSTALL_DIR/greenbone-feed-sync to see what is being copied into the root structure because it seems that the new feed-sync command command is not being moved to its proper location.

If the directory is empty, perhaps it didn’t install correctly. Else, I don’t know if it will break the installation, but you could try to install it for the user rather than system-wide:

python3 -m pip install greenbone-feed-sync

When I run as a non-root user, I’m prompted No matching distribution found for greenbone-feed-sync, with the following error

mabin@mabinserver:~$ python3 -m pip install --root=$INSTALL_DIR/greenbone-feed-sync --no-warn-script-location greenbone-feed-sync
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement greenbone-feed-sync (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for greenbone-feed-sync

Hmm… I think that is the problem getting ospd-openvas started. That command runs fine for me here:

Is there another way to manually sync notus-scanner products data? Previously, I successfully installed openvas on ubuntu 20.04 virtual machine installed on my macbook computer. Now I want to install Openvas in the company’s virtual machine, but I have been unsuccessful. My installation steps are the same, in my own macbook virtual machine

/var/lib/notus/advisories/
/var/lib/notus/products/

All have data

ok,I will try again

Possibly a virtual machine network configuration issue or a firewall issue. I guess firewall if you have the VM configured with local network access and the same gateway as the host and can access the internet from the VM. Can you install other python packages via pip? That might indicate your company has a firewall in place.

yes,I can install other software,can tell me what‘s your os ?

gvm-tools?

python3 -m pip install --root=$INSTALL_DIR/gvm-tools --no-warn-script-location gvm-tools

PyPI does not host all packages on the same IP address. Packages are hosted on various servers and mirrors distributed worldwide. When you use pip to install packages from PyPI, it contacts the PyPI server to fetch package metadata and download the package files. Could be a geolocation firewall filter?

:grinning: I am in china,install gvm-tools is successful

I think find the error reason ,my pip version is lower,I will update python version try again,very thanks your help,my friends

:grinning: so happy,when I updated the python version to 3.9.x and pip version,and reinstall greenbone-feed-sync,then sync feeds is successfuled,thanks your help and precious time

You are welcome. Thanks for sharing the final solution as well!

Hi,

to sum up this topic, there are two different greenbone-feed-sync scripts. An old one written in bash and installed in conjunction with gvmd and a new one written in Python and installed separately. See also the announcement:

The old script was installed to /usr/local/sbin/greenbone-feed-sync and the new one into /usr/local/bin/greenbone-feed-sync (sbin vs bin).

With the current build from source guide updated last week the old feed sync scripts (/usr/local/sbin/greenbone-feed-sync and also /usr/local/bin/greenbone-nvt-sync) are not installed anymore!

2 Likes

Yes, I found two greenbone-feed-sync executables during the installation process. Thank you for your reminding and I sincerely appreciate your efforts

2 Likes