Failed to start task: Service temporarily down

I am unable to run Vulnerability Scans and I think it has something to do with these error messages:

ar 12 14:01:23 kali systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/openvas-scanner.service:12: PIDFile= references a path below legacy directory /var/run/, updating /var/run/openvassd.pid → /run/openvassd.pid; please update the unit file accordingly.
Mar 12 14:01:23 kali systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Open Vulnerability Assessment System Scanner Daemon.
Mar 12 14:01:23 kali systemd[1]: openvas-scanner.service: Job openvas-scanner.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.
Mar 12 14:09:54 kali systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Open Vulnerability Assessment System Scanner Daemon.
Mar 12 14:09:54 kali systemd[1]: openvas-scanner.service: Job openvas-scanner.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.
Mar 12 14:39:03 kali systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Open Vulnerability Assessment System Scanner Daemon.
Mar 12 14:39:03 kali systemd[1]: openvas-scanner.service: Job openvas-scanner.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.
Mar 12 14:40:24 kali systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Open Vulnerability Assessment System Scanner Daemon.
Mar 12 14:40:24 kali systemd[1]: openvas-scanner.service: Job openvas-scanner.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.

I checked all the directories and I don’t see a file named openvassd.pid

I have tried totally uninstalling and reinstalling OpenVas and that didn’t change anything.

OpenVAS on Kali is full of bugs. If it’s your first time with OpenVAS I would suggest to install it on real linux distribution such as Ubuntu (best choice, if you follow the tutorial below), Fedora, etc… and get the sources from Greenbone directly (no third party).

Get GVM-11 sources and do a fresh installation following this guide:
https://sadsloth.net/post/install-gvm11-src_part1/

1 Like

Didn’t work for me.

This is NOT any issue with GVM itself. It is an issue with the packages provided by Kali Linux. As already mentioned these packages are buggy and only contain an outdated unsupported version of our software.

2 Likes

I tried following the directions for installing GVM, all 3 pages worth and the install didn’t work.

Then you should try our Community Edition as virtual machine. That is plug and play in 10 Minutes.

1 Like

Where do I find that?

1 Like