Failed to start gvmd.service

I tried to start GVMD after installation, but it failed. Below is an error message. Do you know how to solve it?

[root@localhost system]# systemctl start gvmd
Job for gvmd.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See “systemctl status gvmd.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.
[root@localhost system]# journalctl -xe
10月 13 09:35:18 localhost.localdomain polkitd[853]: Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-process:6387:25853133 (system bus name :1.1619, object path /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale
10月 13 09:35:19 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: gvmd.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.

– Unit gvmd.service has begun starting up.
10月 13 09:35:19 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: gvmd.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
10月 13 09:35:19 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start OpenVAS Manager.
– Subject: Unit gvmd.service has failed
– Defined-By: systemd
– Support: systemd-devel Info Page

– Unit gvmd.service has failed.

– The result is failed.
10月 13 09:35:19 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit gvmd.service entered failed state.
10月 13 09:35:19 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: gvmd.service failed.
10月 13 09:35:20 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: gvmd.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.

– Unit gvmd.service has begun starting up.
10月 13 09:35:20 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: gvmd.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
10月 13 09:35:20 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start OpenVAS Manager.
– Subject: Unit gvmd.service has failed
– Defined-By: systemd
– Support: systemd-devel Info Page

– Unit gvmd.service has failed.

– The result is failed.
10月 13 09:35:20 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit gvmd.service entered failed state.
10月 13 09:35:20 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: gvmd.service failed.

[root@localhost system]# systemctl status gvmd
● gvmd.service - OpenVAS Manager
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/gvmd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since 五 2023-10-13 09:35:24 CST; 21s ago
Process: 6425 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/gvmd -f $OPTIONS (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

10月 13 09:35:23 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start OpenVAS Manager.
10月 13 09:35:23 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit gvmd.service entered failed state.
10月 13 09:35:23 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: gvmd.service failed.
10月 13 09:35:24 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: gvmd.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
10月 13 09:35:24 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Stopped OpenVAS Manager.
10月 13 09:35:24 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: start request repeated too quickly for gvmd.service
10月 13 09:35:24 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start OpenVAS Manager.
10月 13 09:35:24 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit gvmd.service entered failed state.
10月 13 09:35:24 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: gvmd.service failed.

Hello JIANGJIANG, welcome to the Greenbone Community forum.

Can you please describe your install method for Greenbone and the host OS? I would guess that it’s the source code installation method, but clearing that up first would help get to the bottom of the issue.

Did you make any changes to the systemd configuration file? If so, did you run
systemctl daemon-reload?

The service failed with an "exited status=1." To get more specific details about the error, you should examine the logs, which may provide error messages explaining why it failed.

Some other common reasons the systemd service may fail to start include:

• Permission Issues : The service may not have the necessary permissions to access files, directories, or resources it needs. Check file permissions and access control settings to ensure the service can operate as intended.
  • Resource Limitations : The service may require certain system resources, such as memory or CPU, which might not be available in sufficient quantities. Insufficient resources can cause a service to fail during startup.
  • Dependency Issues: The service may have dependencies on other services or resources that are not available or properly configured. Check whether all required dependencies are installed and functioning correctly.
  • Configuration Errors: Incorrect configuration settings in the service’s configuration files can lead to startup failures. Review the configuration files associated with gvmd to ensure they are correctly configured.

Thank you for your reply. My operating system is CentOS 7, and I have successfully installed openvas using the Atomic image source method and the yum install - y openvas command. Prior to this, I also tried installing the source code, but it did not start successfully. I did not change the system configuration file. I checked/var/log/gvm/gvmd. log and found that they all look like SQL_ Exec_ Internal: PQexec failed: Error: Unable to load library ‘/usr/lib64/libgvm pg server. so’:/lib64/libgvm_ Util. so.11: undefined symbol: gnutls_ X509_ Privkey_ Do alerts such as import have an impact on starting the GVMD service? But I have already installed gnutls.

This looks like an issue with the Atomic packages which should be reported over here:

2 Likes