Error while setting up Redis server

Hello
It is my first time building Greenbone from source.

I am building GVM-22.4.0 from source on ubuntu1804 (Linux localhost 4.14.83 #3 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 23 15:02:10 CST 2023 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux)according to the official guide and Libellux-Up-and-Running/docs/openvas/config/ubuntu-20_04_GVM-22.4.0.sh at master · libellux/Libellux-Up-and-Running · GitHub

All has gone well from the begining but I hit a dead end with this error while setting up Redis server.

root@localhost:~/source/notus-scanner-22.4.0# systemctl status redis-server@openvas.service

• redis-server@openvas.service - Advanced key-value store (openvas)
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/redis-server@.service; indirect; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2024-03-07 16:43:51 CST; 14min ago
    Docs: https://redis.io/docs/,
    man:redis-server(1)
    Process: 20961 ExecStart=/usr/bin/redis-server /etc/redis/redis-openvas.conf (code=exited, status

Mar 07 16:43:51 localhost systemd[1]: redis-server@openvas.service: Service hold-off time over, sch
Mar 07 16:43:51 localhost systemd[1]: redis-server@openvas.service: Scheduled restart job, restart
Mar 07 16:43:51 localhost systemd[1]: Stopped Advanced key-value store (openvas).
Mar 07 16:43:51 localhost systemd[1]: redis-server@openvas.service: Start request repeated too quic
Mar 07 16:43:51 localhost systemd[1]: redis-server@openvas.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Mar 07 16:43:51 localhost systemd[1]: Failed to start Advanced key-value store (openvas).
lines 1-13/13 (END)

root@localhost:~/source/notus-scanner-22.4.0# systemd journal
Excess arguments.

Now,how to solve this question?

Thanks in advance.

Hi tomcuise, can you please post new issues in a new thread instead of appending to an issue that has already been solved. I guess you should look at the Redis log, openvas log, and syslog to find out the cause. You will find these files in the /var/log/, and /var/log/gvm directory.

Aside from that, it’s an interesting setup to install a legacy of Greenbone on Ubuntu 18. I’m a little curious why you’re doing that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

(quick moderator note that I moved it to a new thread)

1 Like

Hi rippledj,

Thank you, I will check my log according to your suggestions, and I will update this topic in time if there is any new progress.
As for the reason you mentioned , what I want to say is that many services of our project are deployed on Ubuntu1804. Considering the completeness of the openvas function, we plan to deploy this open source tool.

Best wishes!

Hi,

it could be possible that the provided redis config doesn’t fit to your older redis-server version. you need to take a look at the journal (or a redis server log) for more error details as @rippledj already mentioned.

2 Likes

Hi rippledj,
According to your suggestions, I checked the corresponding log and then repaired it according to the solution . However, the result was not as expected. Is there any other solution to this problem?

The error message as follows:

Best wishes

Have you read the contents of the image you posted above? :thinking: If you do, you will see the error clearly defined.

Hi rippledj,
I executed as follows:
wget http://download.redis.io/redis-stable.tar.gz
tar xvzf redis-stable.tar.gz
cd redis-stable
make
make install
However,it does not work.

Best wishes

Since your problem is with Redis, not Greenbone, I suggest you to find the appropriate Redis user support forum and bring up the issue there. Stack Overflow is also a good place to start. :slight_smile:

This is not for lack of wanting to help you, but in the long run, I think this approach will help you get answers to your questions sooner, and help you to become a better troubleshooter and IT admin!

1 Like

Hi rippledj,
You are right.I’m glad to receive your sincere suggestions. Working hard to improve debugging experience will help me grow faster.
Thanks a lot.
Best wishes

1 Like

As I wrote the config doesn’t fit in some way to your redis server version. The error can be seen here

1 Like

As Bjorn pointed out, the error is in the configuration file. The replica-serve-stale-data feature was introduced in Redis version 6.2.0 (2021). This means it’s a very new configuration option. Before the replica-serve-stale-data configuration option was introduced, there was no such configuration option. Therefore, the behavior related to serving stale data on replica instances was determined by the default behavior of Redis itself - not serving stale data on replica instances.

This means it is essentially a performance enhancing feature, not a core functional feature and that line of the configuration can be removed from the configuration file without negatively impacting the integrity of GVM.

I hope this can help guide you in the right direction. :slight_smile:

Hi rippledj,
As you mentioned, since it doesn’t affect the core functionality of GVM, I think I can boldly try to modify it to meet my current needs.
Thank you.
Best wishes

Hi bricks,
Thank you for your reply. At first, I was worried that modifying these configurations might cause other unnecessary problems. Now I think I understand how to solve it.
Thank you.
Best wishes

No, these configs are just derived from standard redis server configs with some changed to not store any data on disk. We don’t tune the redis settings in other regards.