Error creating target via hosts file - "Error in host specification"

Hi all,

I’ am having trouble uploading a hosts file when creating a new target, the below error is appearing:

“Error in host specification”

I’ am using the Community Trial edition, version 21.04.18

I have a simple .csv UTF-8 file with a list of WAN IP addresses, a few of which contain hostnames.

However I have tried removing the hostnames, as well as WAN IP’s ending with a one digit number, as I read on the below forum that this has caused an issue for some.

I also read on another forum post, that the size of the subnet being too large may be the cause of the issue, but am unsure.

Lastly, I have also reviewed the below documentation regarding requirements of using the host files option to scan with.

https://docs.greenbone.net/GSM-Manual/gos-21.04/en/scanning.html?highlight=target#creating-a-target

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Please disregard the above now, resolved my own issue.

It turns out uploading a .csv file without the UTF-8 file format works, depsite the documentation stating the opposite. This may need to be updated.

Hello CYBER-NYT,

it looks like you are correct regarding the documentation requiring an update. As far as I can see only ASCII strings are allowed in the file while the encoding seems less relevant.

I’ll forward this internally to get it improved.

2 Likes