Cronjob to update feeds?

I am using the community containers. I update the feeds by running:

#env variable set
export DOWNLOAD_DIR=$HOME/greenbone-community-container

#update containers
docker-compose -f $DOWNLOAD_DIR/docker-compose.yml -p greenbone-community-edition pull notus-data vulnerability-tests scap-data dfn-cert-data cert-bund-data report-formats data-objects

#copy files
docker-compose -f $DOWNLOAD_DIR/docker-compose.yml -p greenbone-community-edition up -d notus-data vulnerability-tests scap-data dfn-cert-data cert-bund-data report-formats data-objects

I follow the logs using

docker-compose -f $DOWNLOAD_DIR/docker-compose.yml -p greenbone-community-edition logs -f

this seems to work perfectly. however, this is manual.

I am thinking to create a cronjob that does this every couple of days.

Is this typically how its done with the community containers or is there another way to periodically update the feeds? cheers and thanks

Of course you can put both command in a cronjob if you want. Should work. The notus-data, vulnerability-tests, scap-data, dfn-cert-data, cert-bund-data, report-formats and data-objects container images are updated once a day.

3 Likes

thanks for your reply @bricks . since you mention “if I want”. I am curious what experienced folk do to keep feeds up to date, do they typically do it manually and watch it update as I was doing? cheers and thanks for your work.