Attempted manual update but now service won't start

I’ve had OpenVAS/Greenbone running on CentOS7 for about a year, but we had a problem with the server scanning to 1% and failing. I saw a similar post for I believe Ubuntu, but after some time of troubleshooting, I decided to attempt an upgrade the app. I just found the following post which describes the same problem that I encountered during the upgrade earlier today:

I downloaded the RPMs and forced the installation of the latest versions. I had problems with the openvas-setup, so I elected to remove all openvas and atomic RPMs and (using yum remove) and restart the scanner installation from scratch. Everything seemed to go through the processes OK, except when I typed “systemctl enable openvas-manager.” I got the error “Failed to execute operation: Too many levels of symbolic links.” I never could resolve this.

I ended up multiple times making sure all RPMs for atomic and openvas were removed and deleted any relate file structure. I’m still getting the same error with “systemctl enable openvas-manager”, but I also see the following:

Typing “systemctl |grep openvas”:
● openvas-scanner.service loaded failed failed OpenVAS Scanner

Error messages in /var/log/openvas/openvassd.log:
[Thu Apr 11 16:56:25 2019][7604] Failed to initialize nvti cache.
[Thu Apr 11 16:57:10 2019][8080] openvassd 5.1.1 started
[Thu Apr 11 17:46:13 2019][8080] Received the Terminated signal
[Thu Apr 11 17:46:25 2019][9319] openvassd 5.1.1 started
[Thu Apr 11 18:04:22 2019][9319] Received the Terminated signal

There is no current gsad.log file.

The following is in the /var/log/messages file:
Apr 11 17:11:44 localhost systemd: Starting OpenVAS Scanner…
Apr 11 17:11:44 localhost systemd: Started OpenVAS Scanner.
Apr 11 17:11:44 localhost systemd: openvas-scanner.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 11 17:11:44 localhost systemd: Unit openvas-scanner.service entered failed state.
Apr 11 17:11:44 localhost systemd: openvas-scanner.service failed.
Apr 11 17:11:45 localhost systemd: openvas-scanner.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Apr 11 17:11:45 localhost systemd: Stopped OpenVAS Scanner.
Apr 11 17:11:46 localhost systemd: Failed to start OpenVAS Scanner.

There used to be an “openvas-check-setup,” but I can’t find one that works with the latest version. I’m inclined to track down the earlier version, but can anyone point me in the right direction to hopefully make version 10 work? Thanks

Similar to Updating instructions from version 9 to Version 10 i’m closing this thread as no support fo problems originating from such 3rdparty packages can be provided here.

Please contact the maintainer of these packages at:

And

1 Like