One additional thing to check could be also using a standard bash shell and a standard terminal:
AFAICT Kali used a highly customized ZSH shell with additional modifications etc., this could also send wrong data (e.g. some additional chars not matching that regex) or similar which could cause this issue.
The same happen on a standard Debian testing with bash so this seems to be not the case.
I’m not able to put any more work / time into triaging which updated package is causing this but if a community member wants to go down the rabbit hole maybe try to install Kali Linux 2022.2 and then update every package from 2022.3 step-wise to determine which updated package had caused this problem.
No, they need time to investigate, while also handling multiple other things related to maintaining a distribution. They have received bug report(s), but repeated pinging or asking for status updates or responses (here or Kali directly) will not help the situation or speed up the resolution. Thank you for understanding.
If you have reported on the Kali Bug Tracker (or planning to) please keep it technical and related to facts on the software and that specific issue only. A bug tracker is generally different than a forum or a general support channel (and has a different style of conversation). Here are some hints from Kali on how you can make your bug report useful for them:
In turn, when you submit a bug, or follow up to an existing bug report, they may need more information from you or request your help in testing proposed solutions (many times that’s not needed, but it’s good to be prepared for that case).
Also, Kali is volunteer-driven and developed, which is important to keep in mind when reporting issues.
Bjorn, you were right on the spot! The Kali team confirmed the issue in glib =)))
""I confirm the issue.
It seems to be caused by the package libglib2.0-0 version 2.73.3-3. If I
re-installed the previous version 2.72.3-1, it fixes the issue. To re-install
the old version is not a valid fix (it removes several packages depending on the
latest version and it may create other issues).
I will work on a real fix.""
Update: it’s been acknowledged and reproduced by the package maintainer in the Kali Team. From this point they are fully in the lead. But typically there are a couple of paths to resolution (I can’t speak for this specific instance yet):
they are able to fix it on their end - or -
they have to contact additional projects for further information/investigation
(sometimes it’s both cases)
There is probably no ETA until they say there is one, and in the meantime what we can do is follow any recommendations they have and be available if they have followup questions. Thanks!
And always please be patient and respectful with the maintainers. They are doing the maintenance for free for you. If you don’t have a service level agreement with someone they don’t owe you anything. This things are hard to tackle and may happen every time.
So after this gets fixed please leave them a a big thank you message in the bug tracker!
OMG! I’ve been battling this too all week! My update failed, so I started over. Fresh new Kali server, fresh new GVM, and no user possible. Thanks all for proving I’m not nuts!
(guess i didn’t need to rebuild those last three servers trying to find out what I did wrong)
I will try to monitor DeeAnn’s latest link to 0007926.