Custom VTs on Community Containers

Hi @MDee,

I don’t have a /var/lib/openvas/plugins/public/ folder in the vt_data_vol volume of Greenone Docker containers. Do you create that folder? As they are, the containers do not persist changes to the vt_data_vol volume even after simply restarting them let alone after a feed-sync.

However, without much effort, you can identify the folder on your local host where the vt_data_vol volume is stored and just use a simple command to copy your public folder into that location. However, I think you will need to run that script each time you restart the containers including when you do a feed sync.

$ docker volume inspect greenbone-community-edition_vt_data_vol
[
    {
        "CreatedAt": "2023-09-05T08:28:34-04:00",
        "Driver": "local",
        "Labels": {
            "com.docker.compose.project": "greenbone-community-edition",
            "com.docker.compose.version": "1.29.2",
            "com.docker.compose.volume": "vt_data_vol"
        },
        "Mountpoint": "/var/lib/docker/volumes/greenbone-community-edition_vt_data_vol/_data",
        "Name": "greenbone-community-edition_vt_data_vol",
        "Options": null,
        "Scope": "local"
    }
]

The mountpoint is /var/lib/docker/volumes/greenbone-community-edition_vt_data_vol/_data.

Or, you could modify the openvas-scanner's prod.DockerFile to automatically import your custom VTs and use that file instead of the one in the default docker-compose.yml file.

Here is a post in another discussion about making the containers extensible which should work for you: Docker-compose: set GSA listen address and GVM admin password - #2 by rippledj

Also, I’m curious, where do you see the rm -rf "${MOUNT_PATH}/"* command?

1 Like