Services won't start

Hello

I followed the guide to install from Source on a Ubuntu Server 20.04 but I can’t start any services (Greenbone Vulnerability Manager | Libellux)

Gsad log show :

gsad main:MESSAGE:2022-03-11 09h45.11 utc:32610: Starting GSAD version 21.4.3
gsad main:CRITICAL:2022-03-11 09h45.11 utc:32625: main: Could not write PID file.

journalctl -xe shows :
mars 11 09:47:42 bone systemd[1]: gsad.service: Can’t open PID file /run/gvm/gsad.pid (yet?) after start: Operation not permitted
mars 11 09:47:42 bone systemd[1]: gvmd.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 415.

I guess I have to give permission but, if I’m not wrong, /run/gvm is created automatically by systemd.

Can anynone help please ?

GVM versions

**gsad: 21.4.3
**gvmd: 21.4.4
**openvas-scanner: 21.4.3
**gvm-libs: 21.4.3

Environment

Operating system: Ubuntu server 20.04
Kernel: Linux bone 5.4.0-104-generic
Installation method / source: Source Greenbone Vulnerability Manager | Libellux

1 Like

Hi Have you figured this out yet. I’m experiencing the same issue

Make sure you’ve provided the permission to the gvm user:

sudo chown -R gvm:gvm /run/gsad

Once you’ve done that stop the service and restart it. If the PID is still busy kill it.

1 Like

no change after running the suggested command. There is no gsad under /run/.

I’m having the same issue on Ubuntu 20.04. trying to update to 21.4.4 using the official source install instructions.
https://greenbone.github.io/docs/gvm-21.04/index.html#starting-services-with-systemd

@dsekely_brs could you please paste your exact error? If you followed our docs you must get a different error.

1 Like

Looks like the issue was fixed for me after removing the /etc/systemd/system/gsad.service then uninstalling and reinstalling gsad.

The new service location is /usr/lib/systemd/system/gsad.service

1 Like

I went back through the install again and was able to get it going this time.

2 Likes